Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading to Mountain Lion

Options
  • 17-01-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Feel like a bit of a dummy asking this but just wanted to be totally sure. I'm upgrading my gf's OS from snow leopard to mountain lion as her iCal wont sync to her iPhone since the new iTunes was launched and she uses it quite a lot. Can anybody tell me do i need to do a back up to an external hard drive like wintel or do i just download it straight from the app store and let it do its thing?

Any helped greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

All your files etc will still be there after the upgrade, so there's no real need to back anything up unless you've reason to be super cautious :) This includes dates in iCal and WiFi settings, etc.

Just download from the App Store and let it do its thing. It's 29.99 if memory serves. You can look at the new features here.

Worth mentioning that it's really an incremental upgrade with a few new features, but all her apple software and devices should be pretty seamless across platforms now. Also, do you know what version of iOS is running on her phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭macsauce

Thanks for the quick reply Banquo, that eliminates most of the boring work. She doesn't have too much software on it so i dont see any compatibility issues at all. She'r runnning the latest iOS on an iPhone 5. I know the "upgrade" is pretty small but she uses the iCal many times a day and its just hassel to keep logging into a gmail account i created to specifically sync a calendar. She's also thinking of getting an Apple TV thing and im told that they work better on ML but that could have just been the guy in CompuB.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,379 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You don't absolutely have to do a backup in that your applications and files will still be there when the upgrade is done but as with all OS upgrades it would be the recommended thing to do in case anything goes wrong but for what it's worth, I did that upgrade (SL to ML) on a 2010 iMac and it installed like a breeze, no problems whatsoever.

Advertisement