Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows 8 keeps rebooting when charger is disconnected

Options
  • 17-01-2013 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi my Dell insperon n7010 keeps rebooting when I unplug the charger and displaying a era message.dis only start happening when I upgraded to windows 8 pro:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

paddybongo wrote: »

Hi my Dell insperon n7010 keeps rebooting when I unplug the charger and displaying a era message.dis only start happening when I upgraded to windows 8 pro:mad:
    An Error message presumably; what does the error say?

Something might be set up incorrectly under your power scheme. You may also have to run windows update, or go to Dell's website and download your hardware drivers. The battery could also simply be failing, depending on it's age.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

According to Dell's download page here, there aren't any Windows 8 drivers for the hardware.

So first thing to check is whether any devices are shown in Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) as lacking drivers. If yes, look for drivers - Windows Update may prompt you. If all else fails, you can try the Win7 driver.

If that doesn't give any useful progress, open the Computer Management (compmgmt.msc) and go to Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System, and look for entries with a red circle next to them - these are Critical entries of the sort that normally show up for unexpected reboots or system crashes. Get as much info as you can from these entries (as well any entries immediately before them) and post them here, perhaps one of us will be able to identify the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paddybongo

Lads hears what I did but didn't seem to work,
    The minidump files showed SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007e) and ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY (fc) stop errors both appeared to be caused by the atikmdag.sys:

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff88004a57b5b, fffff880069c2858, fffff880069c2090}

Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+79db5b )

BugCheck FC, {fffff88004dd6460, 87a000010706b121, fffff880069b88f0, 2}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
    Probably caused by : hardware ( atikmdag+9b9460 )

The atikmdag.sys. which is dated Oct 3, 2012, is the AMF display driver.

What you could try is to uninstall the ATI display driver and then reinstall the AMD driver

Minidumps are here.
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F6BE95FEB68BE6ED!269&authkey=!APdva0wpRQA5Y1Y

Well, there you have a possible fix (apparently interpreted by the dump viewer?) reinstall your graphics drivers (if possible, from amd.com)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Oh yay, atikmdag.sys :( That bloody thing was the bane of my life for over a year on my old desktop when I stuck Win7 on it - simply would not play nice with the system. In the end the fix I opted for was to use msconfig to limit the maximum memory to 512MB less than the total system RAM, on the basis that there was speculation the problem was down to memory allocated to the video driver being incorrectly used as system memory and triggering the crash.

No guarantee it'll work on Win8 (I don't have that machine any more, I sold it on with its original XP licence and replaced with something a bit less ancient), but it's worth a try if you can't solve the issue by reinstalling/updating the drivers.

• Advertisement

that sounding like good logic, there is probably a way to figure out how large the over-addressed area of memory is. I imagine it's a lot smaller than 512MB.

edit:
    Both of these changes are quite high-level, tapping into existing operating system mechanisms to achieve reductions in memory usage. but Windows 8 also contains lower-level modifications that are rather more invasive. The lower level changes all revolve around the virtual memory facilities of the operating system: Windows 8's virtual memory facilities are more powerful than those of previous versions, and the operating system has been altered to make better use of virtual memory.

Contrary to popular belief, virtual memory is not the same as "the pagefile," and cannot ever be disabled when Windows is running. Virtual memory is the system by which the processor and operating system conspire to lie to applications about the memory in the system. On 32-bit operating systems, the main lie is that every individual process has 2 GiB of private memory available to it, and that memory is linear: every byte of that memory has an address and these addresses are contiguous, starting at zero, and going all the way up to 231. This address space is larger on 64-bit systems, but the basic principles are the same.
    http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2011/10/how-windows-8s-memory-management-modifications-make-for-a-better-user-experience/

All in all, I'd suggest Fysh's method, but you probably only need to squelch about 128MB, not that it makes that much difference with RAM being candy these days.,

I went for 512MB as I had an HD3450 with 512MB onboard, although I think that it's also the upper limit of how much you can restrict the total system memory. It's definitely worth tinkering with though.

I'm a bit confused as to why it only happens on battery power though. Maybe a power-saving feature in the graphics chipset, I guess.

* Hmm. You could also go into power schemes and look at the graphics adapter settings. In those profiles you can set the GPU to Max powersaving, Max Performance, or Moderate powersaving.

Advertisement