Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German beer recommondations?

Options
  • 17-01-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Phoenix wrote: »
    Anyone recommend some more German type beer to try?
    I love Staropramen,Spaten dont mind Paulener on tap to a lesser extent,any other I have to try that arent hard to get?i know Staropramen is Czech before anyone points it out :P

Erdinger would be the obvious one as its everywere,

Hoegarten as well,

There are many others but not so easy to aquire, look at the weiss beers mainly in superquinn/lidl/aldi etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Erdinger would be the obvious one as its everywere,

Hoegarten as well,

There are many others but not so easy to aquire, look at the weiss beers mainly in superquinn/lidl/aldi etc

That's Belgian, very different to a German wheat beer!

Erdinger wouldn't be my favourite either.

enda1 wrote: »
    That's Belgian, very different to a German wheat beer!

Erdinger wouldn't be my favourite either.

Would you care to offer a suggestion? or are you one of those smart arse offer nothin to thread type guys?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Schlenkerla is one of my favourites, particularly the Märzen. For pale lager in the Spaten style I like Augustiner Edelstoff. For the bitterer pils sort I'd go for Jever. My go-to weissbier is Schneider Tap 7, and almost everything they brew is excellent, particularly the Tap 6 Aventinus and the Tap 5 Hopfen-Weisse. For a dark and strong lager, Paulaner Salvator is the original and one of the best in this style available here.

And if you want Irish takes on any of these, try the White Gypsy Doppelbock or Eight Degrees Bohemian Pils.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

For me I love Krombacher which is a Pilsner.

I openly admit to selling it but I'm not shilling here. I honestly do like the product.

Erdinger is, to be fair, mainstream so I like to look at other things from Germany. I do like Berliner Helles but it's next to impossible to get. I do like the Erdinger Pikantus which is a Double Bock. Shouldn't be too hard to find. Little more than normal Erdingers because it's over 7% ABV though.

Augustiner is a brilliant product and well worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Augustiner Helles, and Weihenstephaner (weissbier and kristall are all I've tried) are definitely fantastic beers. I also enjoy Schneider Weisse, Rothaus Pils, Erdinger Urweisse, and Franziskaner. So yeah, mad for the Weissbier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Beer Baron wrote: »
    For me I love Krombacher which is a Pilsner.

Krombacher Schwarzbier is also very nice, if you can get it.

There's a very light coloured Dunkel available in Tesco called Arcobrau, it's really delicious.

My absolute favourite German beer though is Neuschwansteiner Weihnachts-Bier, but it's a Xmas beer, so I assume only available at that time of year.

Can anyone recommend something more widely available that approaches the style of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

BeerNut wrote: »
    Schlenkerla is one of my favourites, particularly the Märzen.

Against the Grain had this on draught for a short while last year. Really nice.

Agree with the recommendations for Augustiner and Weihenstephaner. Also think Schofferhofer from Aldi isn't bad at all but my current fave is Tucher Bajuvator Dopplebock. Got it from Deveneys in Dundrum before Christmas and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

I was browsing tesco and came across a number of German beers under the 5 for 11 offer,namely Erdinger Oktoberfest Weiss,Weihenstephaner Vitus,Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier,Schiehallion,Schneider Weisse Tap 2 Kristall,Arcobrau Weissbier oh and ill throw in a Swedish beer called "Mariestads"! too.
    So which is the best of that bunch to experiment with first?

experiment with all of them.
    different people have different tastes, what i like, you might hate, and vice versa.

try everything. and see which ones tickle your taste buds.

• Advertisement

Schiehallion
    Scottish, FYI. Good lager, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Augustiner Helles, and Weihenstephaner (weissbier and kristall are all I've tried) are definitely fantastic beers. I also enjoy Schneider Weisse, Rothaus Pils, Erdinger Urweisse, and Franziskaner. So yeah, mad for the Weissbier.

You got there before me! All of my favourite German beers. Franzikaner was my go to beer in Berlin.
    Krombacher and Pilsner Urquell are good as well OP. Another Pilsner that i enjoy is Hasseroeder but that seems impossible to get in Ireland.

Franciscan Well also do a weissbier call Friarweisse which is also fairly cheap and decent

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Berliner Kindl the odd time you can get it here is well worth picking up

I was browsing tesco and came across a number of German beers under the 5 for 11 offer,namely Erdinger Oktoberfest Weiss,Weihenstephaner Vitus,Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier,Schiehallion,Schneider Weisse Tap 2 Kristall,Arcobrau Weissbier oh and ill throw in a Swedish beer called "Mariestads"! too.
    So which is the best of that bunch to experiment with first?

Having one of those Schneider Weisse Tap 7, from dunnes.

Lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

Are Dunnes stil doing their own version of 5 for ... to match Tesco?

No, sadly not. although at €2.55 per .5l bottle I think they are still good value, have to say this one gets better as it goes down.

Might take the place of Erdinger as my Saturday evening tipple,

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Frozen_Rainbow

one of best German (and world) Pils is :
    Rothaus Pils and if you like bitter Pils take Jever Pils.
    If you want to taste a dark beer you can try the popular Köstritzer.
    If you like Wheat beers of course try Erdinger, Paulaner and so on .
    And in the region of the city Düsseldorf the people drink Alt beer. A sort of brown ale, try Diebles Alt, Frankenheim Alt.

So far from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Augusteiner Helles

But right now drinking Augusteiner Edelstoff exportbier - absolutely gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

dpofloinn wrote: »
    Berliner Kindl the odd time you can get it here is well worth picking up

I feic'in love that
    only ever had it in Berlin though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

pa990 wrote: »
    I feic'in love that
    only ever had it in Berlin though
    It's a damn fine beer. Dunno why they feel the need to ruin it with that syrupy stuff.

• Advertisement

I got a sceptical look and an "are you sure?" when I ordered a Berliner weisse without syrup. I actually prefer it with the woodruff, though. The raspberry one is pretty awful.

Berliner Kindl also makes a pils which you see all over the place in Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

hang on, would that Berliner Kindl with a syrup then be somewhat like the belgian fruit flavoured beers?

I have no interest in paying money for a sample (which i would end up throwning down the sink most likely), but since a recent stay in Belgium the mrs quite likes their take on fruity syrupy beers

Yes, it's along similar lines: adding a sugary jolt to an underlying sour beer. The raspberry Berliner Kindl berlinerweisse is the most like the nastier artificial fruit beers from Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gnarlyone

Try Fischer's, its a particularly good straight up german beer. Its not a wheat beer btw

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

gnarlyone wrote: »
    Try Fischer's, its a particularly good straight up german beer. Its not a wheat beer btw

Draught only which is a shame but thats an export problem. They cannot export the open crates to Ireland so a visit to the pub is the only way to have it.

They cannot export the open crates to Ireland
    The way lots of other German brands do? Why not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Scheyern Kloster Doppelbock Dunkel is a lovely, malty beast of a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Draught only which is a shame but thats an export problem. They cannot export the open crates to Ireland so a visit to the pub is the only way to have it.
    do they even bottle the stuff anyhow?
    It seems to be a filler lager to offer to pubs which carry Erdinger which is so (un-)important to the Erdinger brewery that they dont even have a website for the brand when last I searched.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

Krombacher Schwarzbier is also very nice, if you can get it.

There's a very light coloured Dunkel available in Tesco called Arcobrau, it's really delicious.

My absolute favourite German beer though is Neuschwansteiner Weihnachts-Bier, but it's a Xmas beer, so I assume only available at that time of year.

Can anyone recommend something more widely available that approaches the style of that?

I second the Weihnachts-Bier, so so good. We actually have a good bit of it left in the place I work. Dunno where you're based, but i'm in Kinsale, Cork if that's any help.

As far as similar beers go you could always try some of their other beers? Also, they do a couple of Neuschwansteiner brews that are available all year round I believe.

http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/privatbrauerei-hoss-der-hirschbrau/1839/

The two others we have are the Holzar-Bier which is fantastic and the Doppel-Hirsch which i'm not sure if i've actually tried. I quite liked the Mai-Bock but we don't stock that any more.

Sorry I can't give better explanations, bit useless when it comes to explaining maltiness and hoppiness etc :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

one of best German (and world) Pils is :
    Rothaus Pils and if you like bitter Pils take Jever Pils.
    If you want to taste a dark beer you can try the popular Köstritzer.
    If you like Wheat beers of course try Erdinger, Paulaner and so on .
    And in the region of the city Düsseldorf the people drink Alt beer. A sort of brown ale, try Diebles Alt, Frankenheim Alt.

So far from me.

I loved drinking that, is there anything similar to that here. Their Weiss Bier was also nice. no hangover either :D

Advertisement