Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help - Windows 8 Upgrade - Programs Gone

Options
  • 17-01-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hope someone can help me.

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 last night, I managed to restore all my documents from the C/windows.old folder.

However my programs are no longer installed. I am not too worried about most of them as they are free but Windows Office 2010 is no longer installed nor is Adobe Professional.

I have the product key for Office - Is it just a matter of downloading a copy from MS site and using the product key I have, or do I need to install the actual product that I had previously downloaded? (It was downloaded from MS, Not from disc)

I have no idea what my product key is for Adobe - any ideas how I might get this back?

Im really pi55ed off as it is likely to creat a huge amount of difficutly for me unless I get them restored.

Please, Any Help would be great

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Hope someone can help me.

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 last night, I managed to restore all my documents from the C/windows.old folder.

However my programs are no longer installed. I am not too worried about most of them as they are free but Windows Office 2010 is no longer installed nor is Adobe Professional.

I have the product key for Office - Is it just a matter of downloading a copy from MS site and using the product key I have, or do I need to install the actual product that I had previously downloaded? (It was downloaded from MS, Not from disc)

I have no idea what my product key is for Adobe - any ideas how I might get this back?

Im really pi55ed off as it is likely to creat a huge amount of difficutly for me unless I get them restored.

Please, Any Help would be great

It sounds like your installation was a migration install rather than in-place upgrade :(

If your Adobe licence was registered, you may be able to retrieve your serial number from your Adobe account - you'll need to log on to see it. Otherwise, you might be able to point something like Magical Jellybean at your old install registry hives and get it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Thanks Fysh - Should I be able to just download a fresh copy of Office 2010 and use my existing product key?

I have never heard of Magical Jellybean, I will investigate this further.

Thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Thanks Fysh - Should I be able to just download a fresh copy of Office 2010 and use my existing product key?

I have never heard of Magical Jellybean, I will investigate this further.

Thanks

Yeah, if you've already got a licence and know your product key you should be able to just download the trial version and activate with your key.

Thanks Fysh - I will try that later.

I hope that magical jellybean thing works too.

Thanks again for your help

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do a reboot on the off chance it did a dual install and left you the option to pick the old version of windows ( unlikely but it would be handy if it did)

• Advertisement

Thanks Capt'n - I did a reboot and it isnt a dual install. Only Windows 8 - I will need to try out Fysh suggestions later - Bloody annoying though. I assumed that all my programs with migrate with my personal files.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Like I said it was an off chance.

did you register the adobe product / do you have the original media
    unfortunately these are the sort of things you need anyway to prove you own it , so catch 22 in that if you can prove you are entitled to a license you probably already have the details to hand

Advertisement