Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat on the Shannon Stag?

Options
  • 17-01-2013 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Looking to organise a stag and was thinking about hiring boats/barges on the shannon. Anyone done this and could recommend places to go would be appreciated.

Our rough plan would be to arrive Friday evening, night out somewhere not too far away, Then head out "boating" Saturday stopping off in a place or two for Food/pints. Then a 2nd night out preferbly in a diferent town. Ideally not having too far to travel back on the sunday

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Not sure about where to hire from but you could do a night in Athlone and one in Carrick on Shannon. 2 good spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Perhaps more suited in here, moved from TGC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its pretty easy to rent a boat but a barge is another matter altogether as owners are pretty protective of them since they are one of a kind items and ALOT more expensive than a boat.
    Renting is as simple as looking for the best price vs number of berths etc.
    Id advise a lake over just staying on the river though as you wont have as many options of where to go on a river compared to a lake. Lough Derg has numerous places to moor up to with harbours right beside the villages and you can anchor or drift around in the middle of the lake if the weathers plesant enough. Lough Ree is equally as nice but doesnt have as many options to go to with close villages and local entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

Thanks for the suggestions,

Have seen that there are plenty of places renting boats for aprox €100 a head(emerald/carrick craft etc). Also Barges for a very reasonable rate from riversdale circa €50 p/p.
    Trying to keep the cost down too

Just trying to decide which towns/villages would be the best crack to and feasible to visit in the time frame

One question have any of you ever driven a boat/barge/sailed at all? If not I would strongly suggest not getting a barge as they tend to be alot more difficult to maneuver and are a fair bit slower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

Have a good bit of experience of boats mostly RIBs and have my Powerboat Cert.

Most of the companies sites I've looked at don't require any qualifications/licience

Ronney wrote: »
    Have a good bit of experience of boats mostly RIBs and have my Powerboat Cert.

Most of the companies sites I've looked at don't require any qualifications/licience

Yeah you need to take an hour instruction and thats it i think, just saying barges are usually slower and alot more difficult to maneuver especially in small harbours if your not used to them.

Advertisement