Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Night Fights - Golovkin vs Rosado & Salido vs Mikey Garcia

Options
  • 16-01-2013 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

Cracking night of boxing it has to be said, super card. Golovkin is all the rage in boxing at the moment and another spectacular showing would be huge for him. Salido-Garcia could well be one of the fights of the year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭megadodge

I really like Golovkin and if he met Martinez, I have to say I'd give him the slight edge. Don't see Rosado causing him any problems.

Have been very impressed with what I've seen Garcia do so far. He epitomises the term 'well-schooled'. A really well coached all-rounder with a hard punch. Salido is a nightmare to fight though, really, really tough, just keeps coming throwing heavy if slightly unorthodox punches from each hand with seemingly endless energy. Garcia is the better boxer, but will he be able to hold off Salido?
    My guess is yes. Has all the makings of a war but I reckon Garcia by close UD or very late stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Weights in for tomorrow (Sat ) :

http://www.boxingscene.com/weights-from-nyc-salido-126-lb-garcia-1256-lb--61515

All made it - so for so good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

I'm going to be torn for Salido-Garcia. On the one hand Mikey is the privileged one, he's from boxing royalty, whereas Salido had an incredibly tough route to where he is now. He turned pro at 15, and got knocked out 5 times in his first 15 fights against men who often had ten years or more on him. He was 14-8-2 at one point and going from those beginnings to world champion is an amazing story in itself.

Garcia though, for all his pedigree, is a down to earth and humble a fighter as you would ever see. He was sparring guys like Manny Pacquiao and Edwin Valero while he was studying in the police academy and he still graduated despite the obvious rewards of the boxing world for a guy with his ability. He's technically superb, but he's in for one hell of a test tomorrow night. Should be a great fight.

Enjoyed Golovkin's performance there, even though it was very one-sided.

I've never thought he's the monster puncher his record suggests, he tends to break people down with very accurate, intelligent, skilful pressure. He's good defensively and uses a lovely jab, very good footwork and excellent feinting to set up his hard combinations. When you add in his excellent workrate and stamina and his general confidence and coolness, it's hard to see who's going to beat him in the near future, seeing as a Martinez fight doesn't seem to be anywhere on the horizon.

Whew!!!

After a sensational performance from Garcia, including 4 knockdowns and a country mile ahead, suddenly the doctor stops Mikey because of a broken nose. Just after a huge WTF!!! by me, I realised it was from an accidental headbutt and it went to the scorecards. Obviously the decision went to Garcia.

It was a classic case of the boxer's skills easily accounting for the sluggers charges. Three of the knockdowns came from beautifully timed punches as Salido was square-on rather than the classic side-on stance.

Garcia really is the business.

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    Enjoyed Golovkin's performance there, even though it was very one-sided.

I've never thought he's the monster puncher his record suggests, he tends to break people down with very accurate, intelligent, skilful pressure. He's good defensively and uses a lovely jab, very good footwork and excellent feinting to set up his hard combinations. When you add in his excellent workrate and stamina and his general confidence and coolness, it's hard to see who's going to beat him in the near future, seeing as a Martinez fight doesn't seem to be anywhere on the horizon.

Yeah he is technically very good, and as you say he's got punch variety that his rep as a big puncher doesn't really reflect. I don't see the fight with Sergio happening either, but if it did it would be interesting to see how well Golovkin's footwork would cope with Sergio's elusiveness. He does have a tendency to plant his feet and sit down on a high proportion of his shots and a fighter like Sergio would see opportunity in that. Martinez aside, not much in the middleweight neighbourhood that you'd get excited about seeing him in with. Chavez Jr maybe, just for the fun of it. Was hoping HBO might raise the prospect of match-up with Ward as well, just to see what he'd say.

Very impressive performance from Mikey Garcia. He's the real deal alright. I think a swarmer is probably still the style that would do best against him, it would just have to be someone with more explosiveness and a bit more polish than Salido. Laughed at Robert saying to him afterwards, "We'll do it again, you'll get knocked out." :D

Mikey vs. Gamboa sounds good I have to say.

Pretty terrible decision in the first fight tonight. Very disappointing for Burgos who looked to me to have won it comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Advertisement