Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest prepaid SIM-only

Options
  • 16-01-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for a prepaid SIM for my alarm system...hopefully I'll just send a couple of texts a year (testing the alarm). Can anybody suggest the cheapest prepaid SIM-only available?

Currently, the alarm is connected via landline which is costing me €25-odd rental per month and changing to a GSM based system will save me €€€

TIA

E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

exaisle wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a prepaid SIM for my alarm system...hopefully I'll just send a couple of texts a year (testing the alarm). Can anybody suggest the cheapest prepaid SIM-only available?

Currently, the alarm is connected via landline which is costing me €25-odd rental per month and changing to a GSM based system will save me €€€

TIA

E

All companies give out their sims for free, you then just top up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

@Mr Jinx - thanks for the reply.

To be specific, I suppose I'm trying to find out which company requires the least top ups. Ideally, if I can get a SIM card free and throw a fiver or a tenner into it and then not have to worry about it for a year (or more!) then I'd be well happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

@Mr Jinx - thanks for the reply.

To be specific, I suppose I'm trying to find out which company requires the least top ups. Ideally, if I can get a SIM card free and throw a fiver or a tenner into it and then not have to worry about it for a year (or more!) then I'd be well happy.

well i think meteor require a top up every 5 months, plus with meteor you can top up 5 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I got my alarm 3 years ago and put an o2 sim into it.
    Put a tenner on it at the time and probably a tenner since.
    Small enough usage like yourself but it still works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

o2 still only need you to reduce your credit every 6 months to keep the sim active. basically make sure your credit reduces by 1cent or more every 6mths. so send yourself a text or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

It looks like Meteor's Shockproof 30 sim-only is the most suited to an alarm application.

There's no minimum spend..."this is the first zero monthly commitment plan." according to the Meteor website.

To the question "Will accounts with no activity after a certain amount of time be cancelled", they respond "NO. If you do not use your phone your account will remain active and you will keep your number."

If anybody knows of any reason why this plan is unsuitable (in other words, if I've missed something) then feel free to speak up!

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

It looks like Meteor's Shockproof 30 sim-only is the most suited to an alarm application.

There's no minimum spend..."this is the first zero monthly commitment plan." according to the Meteor website.

To the question "Will accounts with no activity after a certain amount of time be cancelled", they respond "NO. If you do not use your phone your account will remain active and you will keep your number."

If anybody knows of any reason why this plan is unsuitable (in other words, if I've missed something) then feel free to speak up!

E.

Hi Exaisle

Which SIM did you go with in the end?

Advertisement