Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming with PVR?

Options
  • 16-01-2013 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just looking for some info or tips from anyone who has streamed using the PVR before. I've tried a few times but to no avail, I don't really know what I'm doing :confused: I've tried Xsplit but I didn't have a bought copy of it so my FPS was low, and I don't know what my stream looks like since I can't see it myself? What kind of quality/performance should I expect in a stream, using the HD PVR, any info is appreciated. I googled lots of stuff prior to this thread and nothing really seemed to work for me :(

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It works fine, I streamed the evo event with it.

Anything in particular you want to know? I used Xsplit and quicktime on Mac to do it.

There's 2 new open source solutions now as well, one called FFsplit and another called something like "open source stream",

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

It works fine, I streamed the evo event with it.

Anything in particular you want to know? I used Xsplit and quicktime on Mac to do it.

There's 2 new open source solutions now as well, one called FFsplit and another called something like "open source stream",

What software do I need if any DooM? And what kinda frame rates could I get on a stream? Anything that allows me to achieve optimum results I'm happy with, willing to try anything. Another question is what site is best to stream from? Is there a difference? The methods I've tried before we're screencapping my pc screen with the hauppauge software preview thingy open, and streaming that (wut) and then with xsplit, but it was messy :( Thanks for the reply, any further info is extremely helpful :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ramza wrote: »
    What software do I need if any DooM? And what kinda frame rates could I get on a stream? Anything that allows me to achieve optimum results I'm happy with, willing to try anything. Another question is what site is best to stream from? Is there a difference? The methods I've tried before we're screencapping my pc screen with the hauppauge software preview thingy open, and streaming that (wut) and then with xsplit, but it was messy :( Thanks for the reply, any further info is extremely helpful :D

You can just use xsplit, but some people use DXtory with xsplit.

You have a choice of screen capping- which as you said, can be messy- but you can also use the hauppage as a game source in xsplit or possibly even a camera source- you need to play around with the different options to see which one works best with your set up.

As for quality- well, every vid on my channel in the last year or so is done with this method, so you know what it looks like, if your net can handle it 30 fps at 720p is possible, although when I actually stream as opposed to recording it I do 480p. I think frame rate is more important than the number of pixels myself.

As for sites- twitch seems to be the most popular. I know for me it seems easier to use and higher quality than the other options so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

another called something like "open source stream",

Open Broadcaster Software

I may or may not have blogged about it before :3

Advertisement