Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting undergrad-- masters in IT

Options
  • 16-01-2013 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

In final year of a commerce degree doing accounting.

My plan was do a master in accounting in the same university. However, I put three courses down on my application and was offered a Masters in information technology yesterday.

Technology has always really interested me so after really looking into the course I am considering undertaking it. Thing is I like accountancy too, so maybe should stick with original plan.

Question is would the two courses complement each other. Don’t want the last 3 years to be a waste and still want to work in accountancy/ financial services area.

Could I work with technology and accounting together? I know the Big4 have IT advisory and consulting services etc...

Cheers for any help on this, Proving tough decision

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

They can't really work together. Unless you plan to design accounting software. Accounting won't benefit you with IT and IT won't help with Accounting other than you knowing your way around a computer better. Nearly all accounting related IT jobs can be done with just IT.

Also anything with IT in the name wouldn't be as good as a Computer Science course. IT is broader but much more basic. IT is like the Arts course of the computer world.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭markg86

Yeah I know it’s not an intensive course the programming starts from scratch and its only 12 months, but I don’t want to do computer science or software engineering. It would give you a very good grounding in technology and just wondering if I could somehow combine the two together, as I enjoy both, seems not.

Basically getting cold feet about fully undertaking accounting this could be my last chance.

Appreciate the input.

Here’s link to the course case anyone gets time to look an see what they think.

http://www.it.nuigalway.ie/programmes_master_it.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'm not an expert but I am doing Computer Science myself and IMO a masters in IT won't give you more than 20% of the career opportunities as a masters in accounting would.

Given that you have a Level 8 in Accounting, it seems like you would be starting at the bottom in IT. You are probably better off improving your Accounting opportunities rather than qualifying yourself for more jobs but only at the same level that you are already at.

Advertisement