Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berliners

Options
  • 16-01-2013 4:03pm
    Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Can I try speaking German with them? Would the reaction be hot or cold? I want to try but not in a loud place, of course? What are the Turkish community like also and are they celebrated or resented?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

People from Berlin are not much different from other Germans, they just have a strange dialect :D

Anyway, of course, you can speak German with them, I can't see any problems there.

Looking for a decent place, I would say, there are e few coffee houses in the city centre, not too loud, but busy enough to find someone to talk to.

And the Turkish community is one of the largest non-national community in Germany, most of them are well integrated.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Vielen dank. I read the charter and I'm allowed talk about German culture.

1) tell me about the rivalry between hertha Berlin and union Berlin. I know it's east and west but is that it? Are hertha really hardcore like Dortmund or Schalke?

2) is there a concentration camp near Berlin and how can I visit it. I hate Nazis like you guys do.

3) is currywurst good? I hate ketchup but love sausage and curry.

Vielen dank. I read the charter and I'm allowed talk about German culture.

1) tell me about the rivalry between hertha Berlin and union Berlin. I know it's east and west but is that it? Are hertha really hardcore like Dortmund or Schalke?

2) is there a concentration camp near Berlin and how can I visit it. I hate Nazis like you guys do.

3) is currywurst good? I hate ketchup but love sausage and curry.

1. Union was the most popular team in the East, Hertha in the West, that's enough for a rivalry. But the most hardcore fans you'll find with BFC Dynamo.

2. There is a link to the concentration camp Ploetzensee for you
    http://www.gedenkstaette-ploetzensee.de/index_e.html

3. Currywurst is just yummy, but if you eat it for the first time, don't ask for 'extra scharf' (extra hot), you will get some cayenne pepper on it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was asking random strangers there for directions in german and ordering stuff in restaurants, no problems :confused:

bluewolf wrote: »
    I was asking random strangers there for directions in german and ordering stuff in restaurants, no problems :confused:

The smiley is a bit confusing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The confused face was my confusion at why he would wonder about speaking german to germans! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Don't be too freaked out when they stare at you on public transport. It's called the "todesblick" and it's basically an impromptu staring contest to kill time whilst commuting. It's nothing personal so just stare back and try to win!

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Don't be too freaked out when they stare at you on public transport. It's called the "todesblick" and it's basically an impromptu staring contest to kill time whilst commuting. It's nothing personal so just stare back and try to win!

I never heard about that, tbh :D

But if you go for it, don't stare at a football supporter, who just came from a match and saw his team loosing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Can I try speaking German with them? Would the reaction be hot or cold? I want to try but not in a loud place, of course? What are the Turkish community like also and are they celebrated or resented?

You can try to speak German to Berliners or in any other language but they are famously grumpy. But if they find out that your native language is English, they will speak English with you, if you like it or not. That is, if they speak to you at all :D

The Turkish community is as diverse as the German community. They are certainly not celebrated, but then the German community isn't either. "Celebrated" is the Döner though (gosh, I miss them...), and the Baklava and the Turkish restaurants... love goes through the stomach as a German proverb says.
    The most despised community, and not only recently, are the Suebians, though. So don't try to speak their dialect, otherwise you'll have Spätzle in your face http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/bild-877752-447921.html :D*

Currywurst is crap, but iconic nonetheless and part of the Berlin PR. It's just Bratwurst with ketchup and curry.

Plötzensee isn't a concentration camp but a memorial for the victims of the Nazis. It was a prison.
    The next real concentration camp is Sachsenhausen near Oranienburg north of Berlin:
    http://www.stiftung-bg.de/gums/en/index.htm

Staring in public transport in Berlin is unheard of. Everyone tries to look into the middle distance or pretends to read the paper or listens to music or whatever, just to avoid to be spoken to by some psychopath or, fate forbid, to start a conversation!

But since you seem to be Irish you'll be fine. Most Berliners love the Irish, why else would they sit in Irish pubs, sip crap Guinness and get all dreamy-eyed.

I'm a Berliner, I know what I'm talking about.;)

*ask the mod what Spätzle are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Be aware that if you are out and about in Mitte, Prenzlauer Berg, Friedrichshain, Kreuzberg or even Neukölln that there's a good chance the "Berliner" you are talking to is from Schwaben or Bayern!

Berlin is "in" these days, so it's full of non-Berliners (like me) floating about the place.

• Advertisement

Carry wrote: »

Staring in public transport in Berlin is unheard of. Everyone tries to look into the middle distance or pretends to read the paper or listens to music or whatever, just to avoid to be spoken to by some psychopath or, fate forbid, to start a conversation!

The city must have undergone another Wende then! My daily commute was generally on the S-Bahn complete with deafening silence and staring competitions. Whilst mentioning this to Germans who were either from Berlin or had been living there for some time, they said that it was completely normal and referred to it as the "Berliner Todesblick". Whenever I head back over I still notice it.

You can try to speak German to Berliners or in any other language but they are famously grumpy. But if they find out that your native language is English, they will speak English with you, if you like it or not. That is, if they speak to you at all :D

The Turkish community is as diverse as the German community. They are certainly not celebrated, but then the German community isn't either. "Celebrated" is the Döner though (gosh, I miss them...), and the Baklava and the Turkish restaurants... love goes through the stomach as a German proverb says.
    The most despised community, and not only recently, are the Suebians, though. So don't try to speak their dialect, otherwise you'll have Spätzle in your face http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/bild-877752-447921.html :D*

Currywurst is crap, but iconic nonetheless and part of the Berlin PR. It's just Bratwurst with ketchup and curry.

Plötzensee isn't a concentration camp but a memorial for the victims of the Nazis. It was a prison.
    The next real concentration camp is Sachsenhausen near Oranienburg north of Berlin:
    http://www.stiftung-bg.de/gums/en/index.htm

But since you seem to be Irish you'll be fine. Most Berliners love the Irish, why else would they sit in Irish pubs, sip crap Guinness and get all dreamy-eyed.

I'm a Berliner, I know what I'm talking about.;)

*ask the mod what Spätzle are :)

I think, someone from Berlin invented the Currywurst but it is well loved all over the country. And it's not only curry, which gives the distinct flavour, it needs about 3-4 different spices, one of them is cayenne pepper, but most chippers use a secret mix, which is passed from generation to generation, like Mr. Krab's secret formula in Spongebob :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Blasphemy :eek: :D

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I think, someone from Berlin invented the Currywurst but it is well loved all over the country. And it's not only curry, which gives the distinct flavour, it needs about 3-4 different spices, one of them is cayenne pepper, but most chippers use a secret mix, which is passed from generation to generation, like Mr. Krab's secret formula in Spongebob :D

If you ask someone from Hamburg they will tell you it was invented there :D There is even a book based around it, Die Entdeckung der Currywurst, and a movie to go along with it. Very enjoyable movie and worth a watch.

jester77 wrote: »
    Blasphemy :eek: :D

Ah go one! You know that Berliners are as self-deprecating and miserable as your average Irish person? ;)

Currywurst is for tourists not for any self-respecting Berliner! We even created for them a Currywurst Museum, just to make a point (or a business): http://www.currywurstmuseum.de/

True Berliners love international cuisine and adopted the Turkish Döner as their very own - as they did with Buletten (burgers for the English-speaking world). Not that these dishes are any more sophisticated...:D

The city must have undergone another Wende then! My daily commute was generally on the S-Bahn complete with deafening silence and staring competitions. Whilst mentioning this to Germans who were either from Berlin or had been living there for some time, they said that it was completely normal and referred to it as the "Berliner Todesblick". Whenever I head back over I still notice it.

I think that is a myth, probably invented by visitors or blow-ins. It might be possible they just stood (or sat) in the way of the "middle-distance-stare".
    Berliner Todesblick, my a**e.
    The "Todesblick" (never heard of this expression) might hit you though, if you are male and staring at a girl/woman. Female Berliners can be fierce alright... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Hahahaha, so true, it freaked me out at first, now I'm just used to it, every now and then I smile back at the starer, it makes them so uneasy ;)
    Staring in public transport in Berlin is unheard of.
    I think that is a myth, probably invented by visitors or blow-ins.

Unheard of?

No, Cool_CM is right - they really do stare - A LOT!!!! I think it's some kind of "Volkssport" ;)

As far as concentration camps go, Sachsenhausen in Oranienburg is well worth visiting, make sure you have plenty of time, there is so much to see and read, it's a frightful place, but well recommended

I think that is a myth, probably invented by visitors or blow-ins. It might be possible they just stood (or sat) in the way of the "middle-distance-stare".
    Berliner Todesblick, my a**e.

In fairness, there's a huge difference between a blank stare into space and a concentrated one that seems like somebody is boring holes into you with their eyes.

Sometimes it takes "visitors" and "blow-ins" to notice these things, I'm sure you've probably made a few observations since coming to Ireland.

In fairness, there's a huge difference between a blank stare into space and a concentrated one that seems like somebody is boring holes into you with their eyes.

Hmm, I actually never noticed this stare, not as described by you and others (death stare?). But that might be because looking at people in public transport usually means looking through them. You can very well stare at people without seeing them (cultural differences, eh?).

...And I was wondering being here in Irish pubs focusing on faces without noticing them that the odd farmer saw it as come-on :D ...
    Sometimes it takes "visitors" and "blow-ins" to notice these things, I'm sure you've probably made a few observations since coming to Ireland.

You are right there. The outsider always sees things the locals don't even notice. Indeed, I - and a lot of foreigners - made very strange observations in Ireland. Don't get me started... :D

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Carry, lighten up. Life ain't so bad. I for one want to be a typical tourist during my first visit to Berlin (and Germany) and I will have no shame. It's exciting and your pessimism doesn't concern me.

People from Berlin are not much different from other Germans, they just have a strange dialect :D

Well, maybe not the STRANGEST dialect in whole Germany, but at first I wondered what my FIL meant when he kept said he "was in the cherry"...

...he pronounces Kirche (church) and Kirsche (cherry) the the same

My MIL got weird looks when she was living in Saxony and said she bought her meat "vom guten Schlachter" (from the good butcher), but with her Berlin accent, it sounded to them like she was saying vom "Judenschlachter" (Jew butcher ) ;)

• Advertisement

Was just talking to someone, who was born and bred in Berlin, and still lives there.

The 'Todesblick' is just a myth, nobody died so far ;)

Maybe a bit of superstitious thinking, like in 'if a gypsy looks into your eyes, you will die' :P

The 'Todesblick' is just a myth, nobody died so far ;)

I wouldn't exactly call it a "Todesblick" but it's definitely a blatant stare ;)

Apanachi wrote: »
    I wouldn't exactly call it a "Todesblick" but it's definitely a blatant stare ;)

...which I remember from certain people in Munich :P

...which I remember from certain people in Munich :P
    From what I've heard from otherss, it's not just a Berlin thing, seems to be widespread throughout Germany ;)

Apanachi wrote: »
    From what I've heard from otherss, it's not just a Berlin thing, seems to be widespread throughout Germany ;)

Maybe, you are right there. Let's say, people on the bus, they are just deep in their thoughts, somehow on another planet. They don't want to be disturbed, and if someone does, there might be an odd look ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Have visited Berlin twice in recent years.

No problem trying my cuple focail in German.

A lot of interest there in Ireland.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

I could almost count on one hand the number of real Berliners I've met in my time living in Berlin. Okay, slight exaggeration, but as well as foreigners there are loads of Germans from elsewhere in Germany living here. I've also yet to encounter the so-called "Todesblick".

Oh, and the currywurst haters need to try Curry 36 at Mehringdamm. I accept your apology in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I'd appreciate some help from Berliners.

I am trying to find a shop which sells Villiger Premium cigars in Berlin. I'm here in Berlin until Saturday.

Thanks in advance

From memory Alexa has a big enough tobacco shop I think. Also maybe try the tobacconist in KaDeWe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement