Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

an interview

• 16-01-2013 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Had an interview on Monday at 4pm. Felt confident leaving but have thought about it so much since that I know I could have provided much better answers.

This is a perfect job for me.... they said they would be in touch 'during the week' if i'm selected for a second interview. I know that they were interviewing monday and tuesday.. it is now Wednesday afternoon and I am feeling very defeated. I am presuming if I havent heard yet today or dont in the following two hrs the chances are that I didnt get it.

Any suggestions on how I could impress the company one last time in an effort to bag myself a second go??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

It's early days yet! They probably still haven't made their decision, or they may be busy, or a decision maker may be out of the office.

I wouldn't lose hope yet.

I personally wouldn't make contact at all this week. If you have heard nothing by next Monday afternoon, you could send them a really nice, positive e-mail asking if they have made a decision regarding second round interviews and you would love to work there, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

It's early days yet! They probably still haven't made their decision, or they may be busy, or a decision maker may be out of the office.

I wouldn't lose hope yet.

I personally wouldn't make contact at all this week. If you have heard nothing by next Monday afternoon, you could send them a really nice, positive e-mail asking if they have made a decision regarding second round interviews and you would love to work there, etc.

Ok, thanks... ya know the way you realise if you had a second chance you could make a really positive impression... and its a perfect position and a perfect location so I am eager about not hearing.

Ah sure, whats meant to be will be as they say.

Thanks for the sense, I was thinking along the lines of sending a muffin basket for a while this morning - desperado

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Haha I know how you feel! We've all been there.

Just remember all the other interviewees are in the same boat.

Haha I know how you feel! We've all been there.

Just remember all the other interviewees are in the same boat.

true that - thanks

sure i'll post if i get a call, fingers crossed !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sadderday wrote: »
    it is now Wednesday afternoon and I am feeling very defeated. I am presuming if I havent heard yet today or dont in the following two hrs the chances are that I didnt get it.
    If it's any consolation, they'll tell ye to "PFO" if you didn't get it before they tell you that you did. Receiving no news is good news half teh time :D But as Mr. Loverman has said; don't contact them until Monday.

• Advertisement

k, sound thanks

no word.... losing hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RubyWoo83

the_syco wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, they'll tell ye to "PFO" if you didn't get it before they tell you that you did. Receiving no news is good news half teh time :D But as Mr. Loverman has said; don't contact them until Monday.

Generally not the case unless you are completely unsuitable. If the preferred candidate does not accept then they will go to the next best one. PFO's wouldn't be a priority until the post has been filled.

I would always send a short, professionally worded email thanking the interviewer for their time & consideration and reiterating your interest in the role. If things are very close, something like this can often make the difference.

Hi again,

well I didnt get that job I went for... got that letter in the post a few weeks later...

I have got another interview tomorrow though, looks like another great opportunity and I don't want to mess this one up.

Anyone have an general advice? when I get nervous I talk alot and I'm sure some of things I say sounds silly to an interviewer.

When someone asks what your strenghts or weaknesses would be what is a good answer? Or any good answers for those other routine interview questions?

I know I could do the job well, it's just getting that across without seeming arrogant... Any tips at all would be great.

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Hi again,

well I didnt get that job I went for... got that letter in the post a few weeks later...

I have got another interview tomorrow though, looks like another great opportunity and I don't want to mess this one up.

Anyone have an general advice? when I get nervous I talk alot and I'm sure some of things I say sounds silly to an interviewer.

When someone asks what your strenghts or weaknesses would be what is a good answer? Or any good answers for those other routine interview questions?

I know I could do the job well, it's just getting that across without seeming arrogant... Any tips at all would be great.

Thank you

It's perfectly normal to be nervous in an interview, the people interviewing will allow for this (obviously not to the point of sweat dripping off you and shaking uncontrolably ha!) Got good advice before regarding interviews off my brother, he said when you get home from the interview, write down as many of the questions asked (and maybe even the answers you gave too) so at least this way you can think about better answers to give if that question is asked in a future interview as it's usually the case that some will.

So in this case maybe think back to the ques's asked in that last interview (or a previous interview that is similar to the position you're going for now) and think of the types of answers to give. Even write down the answers you'd give so if/when asked you'll be able to recite it exactly. The more prepared you are, the less nervous you'll feel in my experience.

Strengths-maybe you've a high attention to detail, organised, punctual, outgoing, diligent etc.
    Weaknesses-the killer question! The stock answer of "I work too hard" just sounds cheesy IMO. I'd usually answer by saying something like sometimes I tend to take time doing certain tasks as I like to ensure they're done correctly etc.
    Google "commonly asked interview ques's and answers", there's plenty there you could prepare for and this will help make you think of good answers obviously without the pressure of 1/2 people staring at you!

I agree, it's cringey making yourself out to be brilliant and "I'm perfect for this job" etc but it just has to be done. I think it's an Irish thing that we're too modest and hate bigging ourselves up!

Let us know how you get on, g'luck!

• Advertisement

sound, thanks for that. its a scary process!!, i'll do some researching today and hope for the best !!

I've been changing my CV and getting interviews in all sorts of places for months now!!,

I'm getting better at answering, my confidence is up and I'm researching appropriately.

the last few times I've made it to round 2... the last 2 I was nearly sure I got but haven't. Don't know what I'm doing wrong!

The last 2 have been with 2 different agencies. Neither had any actual informative feedback for me and neither have contacted me back about any other positions they have either. I wonder if these potential employers are giving the agencies bad feedback so the agencies aren't interested in me again?

I'm starting to lose interest... it's alot of energy prepping for interviews... 1 with agency and generally 2-3 with a potential employer.

Making it to round 2 sounds positive... but what is going on at this stage that determines who gets the job?

Any advice at all ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

I've been changing my CV and getting interviews in all sorts of places for months now!!,

I'm getting better at answering, my confidence is up and I'm researching appropriately.

the last few times I've made it to round 2... the last 2 I was nearly sure I got but haven't. Don't know what I'm doing wrong!

The last 2 have been with 2 different agencies. Neither had any actual informative feedback for me and neither have contacted me back about any other positions they have either. I wonder if these potential employers are giving the agencies bad feedback so the agencies aren't interested in me again?

I'm starting to lose interest... it's alot of energy prepping for interviews... 1 with agency and generally 2-3 with a potential employer.

Making it to round 2 sounds positive... but what is going on at this stage that determines who gets the job?

Any advice at all ?

Took me 2 years of interviewing for about 6 different roles before I got my break. Think it helped that the last job was a closer fit than the previous roles I had gone for. Even though they were all a very close fit. When I did manage to get the job it was a promotion with a 16k pay rise. So it can pay off. You have to negotiate as well though.

Advertisement