Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-107 - Columbia

Options
  • 16-01-2013 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

Launched 10 years ago today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

10 years already?:(
    sts107_crew.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

For those not aware...

Space Shuttle Columbia disaster

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

It scares me how fast time goes. I remember that launch like it was last week. Little did we know at the time how it would end.:(

photoshuttlecolumbiasts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Sadly today marks the 27th anniversary of the challenger disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭12april1981

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/greater-heightsvideo-recalls-shuttle-victim-who-to/nT6xC/

This is wonderful,found it yesterday and would like to share with everyone.Its stories like these that makes the Astronaut Office at Nasa such a special place. A great human story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/greater-heightsvideo-recalls-shuttle-victim-who-to/nT6xC/

This is wonderful,found it yesterday and would like to share with everyone.Its stories like these that makes the Astronaut Office at Nasa such a special place. A great human story.

Nice find Eamonn, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I can remember watching the news coverage like it was yesterday.

Can anyone tell me what do the the Father of the pilot of Columbia, and the Captain of last years Football all Ireland team have in common ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Redshift wrote: »
    I can remember watching the news coverage like it was yesterday.

I was meeting this young lady on our 2nd or 3rd date that night, was on my way to the bus stop when an acquaintance pulled up and offered me a lift, 'You like space don't you, it was just on the news that the Space Shuttle blew up', couldn't get any further info, was weighing on my mind all night. Had to tell her in the end what was distracting me.
    She's my wife now and we have two kids... it all seems like the blink of an eye.

Columbia was the first ship and somehow always seemed the safest and steadiest, 22 years before I'd followed every bit of info on her countdowns and scrubs as best I could on RTE and Ceefax, that ten year old kid never thought the Shuttle programme would end up in mismanagement, budget cuts, disregard for safety, incompetence and tragedy in the way it did :( I was sad when the Shuttle programme ended, but also relieved. Unsafe by design and we can blame the USAF and pork barrel politics. There was no engineering reason to have segmented SRBs. There was no civilian mission requirement for the Shuttle to have large wings.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me what do the the Father of the pilot of Columbia, and the Captain of last years Football all Ireland team have in common ?
    You have me stumped there! No idea:(

I should have asked..What does the Captain of last years All Ireland football champions (Donegal) the father of the pilot of Columbia (Willie Mccool) and the father of four time Shuttle flyer Bryan Duffy have in comman.
    What all of them have in comman is they were all born in Donegal !!
    Col Mccools Father returned to Ireland for family events up too a few years ago,and I had the great privilege to meet Bryan Duffy three times and he described himself as a Irish man !!

Advertisement