Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding an Atari Flashback 3

Options
  • 16-01-2013 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi all

I received an 'Atari Flashback 3' this Christmas as a gift from the brother in law and have been enjoying the trip down memory lane immensely! It really is a pretty neat little device IMO- nice styling, has authentic joysticks and is bundled with 60 or so games.
    Thing is quite a number of them are pretty lame and Id love to be able to play some of my old favs like Jr Pacman, H.E.R.O, Choplifter, Defender & Mario Bros to name but a few, on the thing.

Is it possible to modify a Flashback 3 to play these old carts?
    I've read online that it's possible to do so with the 'Atari Flashback 2' but have not yet seen any evidence the same can be achieved with the Flashback 3.

Can anyone help an old(ish) gamer out?!:pac:

Thanks!

PS- I've also read about a pretty sweat piece of kit called a '2600 harmony cart' that allows you slot an SD card full of game roms into a cartridge and then into the console- http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-harmony-cartridge.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Looks like its only possible to retro fit a cart slot on the FB2, well, thats all I could find infomation on.

FB2/FB2+ worked on a Atart2600 on a chip
    FB3 works on a FPGA, so Atari2600 emulation on a chip

Interesting video and insight into the FB2/FB2+/FB3

Might make more sense to pickup a 2600 Jr. and the Harmony Cart for the retro experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Thanks Kerbdog-I'll do a bit more digging
    The idea of having almost every 2600/ VCS game ever made on the one cartridge is the stuff of fantasy for my inner 9-10 year old self! The future rocks :cool:!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Audio fixed version of Kerbdogs video there

Advertisement