Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice / Help with "Training Contract" Issues

Options
  • 16-01-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi Guys,

I'm having a few issues with my employer regarding my accountancy "Training Contract" and would like some more experienced opinions on the matter. I think the best way to go through it is just explain the situation as to the point as possible. Some info might be relevant, some maybe not. Please bare with me.

So I picked up an internship with a (very) small Financial Management Consultancy Firm in Dublin in Dec 2010 through Fas Work Placement Program website. I got the internship and was actually replacing a guy who was 4 months through his so I completed the remaining five months (unpaid). This was never registered with Fas though and I was working a part time retail job on the weekends.

In April 2011 I was kept on Full-time as Finance Officer looking after book-keeping, basic payroll, and responsible for incoming and outgoing invoices while working on a bit of Business Development. I was offered €20k salary p a with my costs to undertake ACCA examinations covered. (I had full ACCA exemptions from my Accountancy degree with the exception of F8 - Audit and Assurance as I didnt take that module in Uni.) NOTE: I was never given an actual contract of employment and still dont have one, the only signed agreement that has been made is that I repay half of my tuition fees if I fail an exam or repay the full amount if I leave the company within three years if I complet my training.

In Jan 2012 I was moved full time into Business Development and have been undertaking this role since then. I'm mainly putting together EOI's and Proposals and some technical work for our various projects. My work recently has been rather good with a lot of my EOI's and proposals winning work and shortlisted for the company.

I took F8 and passed first time in Dec 11. I took P1 (Corp Gov & Ethics) in June 12 and passed first time. I took P2 (Fin Reporting) in Dec 12 and havent gotten result back yet but its highly likely I failed. I have <90% attendance in each of my classes.

Considering my time with company and passing of examinations I asked on two occasions about the company's long term commitment to me and possible rise in May 2012 and Oct 2012 and on both occasions my senior said we would sit down in the next few weeks and iron out the issues, on both occasions: the problem wasnt brought up again and was ignored.

Small other Issues worth noting: Someone was hired to take over my job in Finance / Book keeping in Jan 12 and she has very broken English, is undertaking her F level ACCA's and is on the same money as me. Is it fair to bring this up when talking with my boss?

Also I only receive a HALF DAY OF STUDY LEAVE PER EXAM undertaken and so I need to use my Holiday days for study coming up to the exam.

My Travel expenses arent covered and have never received a Christmas or Summer bonus (no Christmas Party etc - not a massive deal but its nice to be nice).

I havent received any bit of formal training in Sage / Accounting Software / Payroll Software etc and received no assistance with My Professional Ethics Module online with ACCA or Professional Experience Requirement.

Also no overtime is paid or even acknowledged and is regularly expected.

I understand you have to put up with a lot of $hit when on a training contract but it's taking the piss at this stage. I realise I was incredibly naive in the past but this was my first office experience and was desperate to get a job and get some accounting experience on my CV.
    Where do I stand on the industry standards for these contracts and should I cut my losses and look for somewhere else? All help and opinions welcome :-)

Advertisement