Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop stolen - how vulnerable am I?

Options
  • 16-01-2013 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi guys,
    Laptop stolen last night from my house.
    I have a Windows User password on it but thats it really.
    Is it possible to hack into it without the password or is a Windows re-install needed.
    Thankfully, I dont have any sensitive documents on the hard-drive as it was a new laptop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭kirving

It's posaible to hack it, but I doubt your general scumbag stealing stuff will figure out how. They'll most likely sell it on as quickly as possible.

I have Prey installed on mine, which could be useful if it's ever stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

Yes its very possible to load your hard-drive as an external one, which would reveal things like your emails (if your using a windows program) and of course browser usernames and passwords if you stored them. Then you have the likes of your document files, music, photos and other personal stuff.

Chances are though, that it was stolen for resale, which more then likely would require the thief to reinstall windows.

Regardless I would start to changing passwords...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

As others have said, yes it would be possible by various means to gain access to your machine - the average scumbag most likely wouldn't but there's always a risk of wherever it ultimately ends up that someone would have a poke around at it.

Presumably you'll get another at some point. When you do you should consider full disk encryption - something like the free (open source) TrueCrypt is really good and most likely rather than trying to crack into it the worst that would happen is that it would be wiped blank and setup. That's probably as good as it gets for regular folk.

Luckily as you mention, you don't have any sensitive information on there. Personally, i even hate the idea of photographs which would be on my laptop going astray - just family stuff, but stuff that you a) don't want to lose, and b) don't want anyone else poking around at.

Sorry for your troubles

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ActiveIreland

If all you have is a windows password it's pretty simple to get into it.

If it's windows Xp you just have to go into safe mode with cmd prompt, select the admin user and than change the password for the main user.

With windows vista and 7 your a small bit safer, as I believe their is no default hidden admin user, but than all you have to do is put some software on a usb drive and let it run for a few minutes.

But since it's a new laptop with no documents, I wouldn't be worried and the scumbag who stole it has probably no idea of what to do with it and will most likely sell it.

Advertisement