Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEEELLLLPPPP !!

Options
  • 15-01-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Ok, Guys here my story all along ive been basically messing around not knowing what id like to do in college ive finally decided on WANTING to do physical education in UCC/UL , currently im going to do well to get about 400 points where as the points for both courses are 480 plus :/ i need some advice on studying mabye your own tips how much work i need to put in etc etc the subjects im mostly in trouble for are english and french

my subjects are

HL and common : English,irish,biology,ag science,LCVP,french,Geography

OL : Maths

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 RachelDJack

As far as English goes the best way is just to keep writing, you'll improve with practice. Know all your poets well, a few short quotes on each poem and know a little on what influences their writing so you can incorporate it into your essays. With the comparative, all I can advise is to know what the common links are and keep comparing and contrasting in your essays. Also, do NOT story tell! Try as much as possible to link back to the question, I learned this year that it is crucial as far as marking and my grades jumped when I made a concious effort to keep the question in each paragraph. :o

The only other subject I have in common with you is Bio. There's not much I can say with it to be honest. It's all fact based.:rolleyes: Just keep reading and taking notes, or use whatever study method you find best. With some of the more complex topics, (Take for example Krebs Cycle, there is murder in my house when I am revising it let me tell ya) I find just repetition, I say the process out loud, draw out the diagram a few times. There's no right way to study it's just about remembering as much of the little details as possible.

I really can sympathise with where you are though, I'm in a similar position, I'm averaging around 470-480 and the course I want is 530. :eek:
    Don't panic or stress just keep working and you'll get there:)
    Hope I was somewhat useful! Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Well for French, learn your main tenses (past, present and future) inside out and upside down. Make sure you understand and are able to use the conditional tense also. You can also learn the subjunctive tense if you'd like, or else just learn a few nice phrases including it (as it's not required to learn for the Leaving Cert). Learn a few nice phrases and idioms that can be put into any sort of written section like ''il faut qu'on fasse(subj*) quelque chose'' (it's necessary that we do something). Learn phrases like ''Tout d'abord'', ''En révanche'', ''A mon avis'' that can also be used whenever. I'd advise to not go learning off essays off by heart and hope that you're lucky and that they come up on the exam. Just know your tenses, phrases and vocab and you can make up your essay on the spot with little mistakes :) btw, don't go using complicated sentence structure and vocab thinking you'll impress the examiner. Instead go for a relatively simple and clear approach which gets your point across. :)

Advertisement