Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Spec cheap tablets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I got this NATPC just before Xmas (now sold out) for around £100 and I have no complaints although mine has twice the ram and is a 10 inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

The first one has plenty of good reviews. Looks like a good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Tazz T wrote: »
    I got this NATPC just before Xmas (now sold out) for around £100 and I have no complaints although mine has twice the ram and is a 10 inch.

yeah its nice but its sold out :( same ram as the two i linked tho (1gb)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

I bought this one for my mum for Christmas. Seems great so far. Large choice of sellers too.

Only issues out of the box, were a dodgy charge level indicator and limited play store compatibility, both of which were easily solved by flashing updated (custom) firmware.

Battery lasts 5-6hrs, wifi signal is great and the screen is magnificent.

• Advertisement

Simi wrote: »
    I bought this one for my mum for Christmas. Seems great so far. Large choice of sellers too.

Only issues out of the box, were a dodgy charge level indicator and limited play store compatibility, both of which were easily solved by flashing updated (custom) firmware.

Battery lasts 5-6hrs, wifi signal is great and the screen is magnificent.

I was looking at that one and its newer version the momo8 fantastic specs but getting a wifi signal around the house is meant to be terrible unless your in the same room as the router. did you notice any problems like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,895 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im on the outlook for one of these myself. Anyone got opinions on this? Looks like the same tablet is costing close to €170 on Amazon - then again I know nothing about these things and it might be a different version.

Basically Im looking to buy one for my wife and it would be used for the basics - Facebook, viewing YouTube clips etc. She already has a kindle so e-reader isn't important.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

muffler wrote: »
    Im on the outlook for one of these myself. Anyone got opinions on this? Looks like the same tablet is costing close to €170 on Amazon - then again I know nothing about these things and it might be a different version.

Basically Im looking to buy one for my wife and it would be used for the basics - Facebook, viewing YouTube clips etc. She already has a kindle so e-reader isn't important.

Any recommendations?

Would stay away from that one, the specs arn't great, single core processor and low screen resolution.

The two mentioned in the op would be a good bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,895 ✭✭✭✭muffler

manu2009 wrote: »
    Would stay away from that one, the specs arn't great, single core processor and low screen resolution.

The two mentioned in the op would be a good bit better.
    Thanks. Thats what I want to hear as I haven't a clue about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

I was looking at that one and its newer version the momo8 fantastic specs but getting a wifi signal around the house is meant to be terrible unless your in the same room as the router. did you notice any problems like that?

Yeah I read the same reviews about the momo8 ips. Apparently it's down to the metal back, which badly affects wifi performance.

The momo7 ips has a simple plastic back, so it doesn't suffer from the same problem. It's wifi range is comparable to your average smartphone (maybe a little better). If you want an 8in it's probably best to look elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Simi wrote: »
    Yeah I read the same reviews about the momo8 ips. Apparently it's down to the metal back, which badly affects wifi performance.

The momo7 ips has a simple plastic back, so it doesn't suffer from the same problem. It's wifi range is comparable to your average smartphone (maybe a little better). If you want an 8in it's probably best to look elsewhere.

Jesus might be worth a shot so, i skipped over this one after the problem with the wifi on the newer one, might have to add this to consideration aswell :)
    Edit: seems to have a micro USB problem tho loads of reviews 1 star reviews on amazon might give it a miss so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

resolution 800 x 480
    uber crappy resolution alert

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Also looking to buy a 8 to 10" tablet for my parents, predominantly for skype and nothing else. I can not justify spending 3-500 euro on Apple/Nexus devices when it will get approximately 60 mins use per week.

That momo8 is reviewed really well in amazon Ployer Momo8.

What a name!! Ployer, are they expecting the buyers to be called 'plonkers'?

any recommened a 10 inch tablet 1080p screen and i can add a mirco sd card cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

I looked at many of these cheaper options and in the end, went for a 7" Galaxy Tab with cashback offer it ends up at €170. €70 more to go for a big brand which is easier to use, warranty, reliable and pretty user friendly i felt was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I looked at many of these cheaper options and in the end, went for a 7" Galaxy Tab with cashback offer it ends up at €170. €70 more to go for a big brand which is easier to use, warranty, reliable and pretty user friendly i felt was worth it.

Galaxy tab won't be any easier to use or user friendly than any of these that have android. It's down to the os how user friendly that these are. The one I posted above has a year warranty, I presume the Galaxy has the same. Also, all these tablets are pretty much all made in the same factory in China so reliability won't be a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Try getting a chinese seller or the likes to sort out a warranty claim on one of these and their 1 year warranty mightnt seem as good as a samsung 1 year warranty.

I've read about quite a few issues with compatibility on the cheaper chinese ones and people having to install custom Roms etc. Thats not user friendly. Some have limited access to Google Play etc.

The Samsung is a pretty much straight out of the box option.

Would you buy a cheap chinese car with no brand name, or spend the bit extra to get a Japanese known brand? Thats how i looked at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

yesno1234 wrote: »

Galaxy tab won't be any easier to use or user friendly than any of these that have android. It's down to the os how user friendly that these are. The one I posted above has a year warranty, I presume the Galaxy has the same. Also, all these tablets are pretty much all made in the same factory in China so reliability won't be a huge difference.
    Everything sold in EU has 2 years warranty

Advertisement