Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capital Gains Tax on US shares sold with a US Bank

Options
  • 15-01-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

My mother sold shares worth 94000 euros that was with a US company. She was a joint name on an account with my father for the last 40 years.The account was with bank of america in the US. My dad died 5 years ago so she decided to sell the shares last year. She received the money in November. The shares were bought by my dad in the 70s and he had the US account ever since because he was an american citizen.She is now worried about the capital gains tax involved and whether she will be cut off her old age non contribution pension or whether she even has to pay CGT at 66 years of age. She is worried that the irish government might take a huge portion of what my dad made on the shares.Does she need to hire an accountant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

I've replied to your other post on the Taxation forum.

Advertisement