Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used Passat, Mondeo or Mazda?

Options
  • 15-01-2013 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Guys

It's time to change my car and I could do with your help. Here is my requirement list.

1/ About €13,000 ( I can add up to 10k to a 2.5k trade in)
    2/ Comfortable and spacious for a family
    3/ Economical to run / TAX
    4/ toys for me.

I have narrowed it down to the following cars. If I have missed an obvious one, or if there is a particular engine/feature/spec I would be grateful for advice. Also what sort of mileage should I be looking for?

1/ Vw Passat (08/09)
    2/ Mondeo (08/09)
    3/ Mazda 6 (08/09)

Thanks

Freddie

Best family car: Passat, Mazda 6 or Mondeo 25 votes

08 VW Passat
    0% 0 votes
    08 Mazda 6
    40% 10 votes
    -08 Ford Mondeo
    60% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

My friend has 08 passat 1.9 tdi, ... over 200 k miles on clocks (ex company car) , she is goin strong without any problem. i consider it as good quality car.. no problem add some toys though.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭freddie

Thanks Mar4ix, high milage dosn't seem bother these cars if they are looked after. It's just scary spending money on something with a lot of miles!

Thanks for your help.

Freddie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Petrol or Diesel?

Wife has a petrol 6 and its a nice car (2008) but the diesels are not well regarded.

What is your mileage per year?

Looking at diesel. Even though we don't currently do a lot of driving I like the idea of good MPG and low tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

If you can get the Mazda 6 with the 2.2 then go for that, don't bother with the older 2 litre. Failing that, high spec Mondeo's or Passat's are as rare as each other, 10 basic Mondeo's for every Titanium spec or 10 base Passats for every Highline.
    You mightn't get the newer Common Rail 2 litre diesel Passat for your budget, so maybe the Mondeo might be the one that you'll find first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

freddie wrote: »
    Looking at diesel. Even though we don't currently do a lot of driving I like the idea of good MPG and low tax.

The Mazda 6 petrols are very cheap and you will buy a 2009 possibly 2010 petrol model for nearly similar money as a 2008 Passat diesel. It's all good and well getting a diesel for low tax and a few mpg more at the pump but the purchase price, mileage difference between petrol and diesel can often cost more than a few quid at the pump or in annual motor tax.

Work out how long it would take for you to make back the savings in motor tax and mpg compared to the thousands extra spent on buying a diesel model over a similar petrol one. People tend to just look at the small savings and ignore the inital purchase cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

For example a low mileage 2009 Mazda 1.8 litre petrol here for under €11k. Motor tax is around €570 a year:

media?xwm=y&id=ef8f22c8-a0f5-4946-8a61-ae34a921e58b&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Mazda/Mazda6/1.8-4DR/31913549649981240/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

freddie wrote: »

Would it be worth it with low mileage? Factor in higher purchase cost and repair costs for possible DMF abd DPF failure and I would go with a petrol.

Wife does 7-10,000 miles a year averaging maybe 8,000 or so. We did the sums and it was more cost effective to get the petrol.

The petrol 6s are nice cars. 1.6 petrols mondeos are underpowered.

Thanks guys

I have so much car info in my head at this stage I feel like just giving up and sticking with what I have :)

I probably don't do enough miles to justify a Diesel at the moment, but a don't intend changing the car for many years, so who knows what mileage I will be doing down the road. I want a car that will cover all situations.

There are good options, in my budget, for all three makes on carzone, especially around the 80 - 90k mile mark. Would I be mad getting a diesel with 90k?

Also, is it worth getting wooooed by the Titanium x or highline models? I find myself drifting!

Advertisement