Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Propensity to vs. Propensity for

• 15-01-2013 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

Which is correct? Or are they both correct in different instances? For example, would you say 'he has a propensity for violence' or 'he has a propensity to violence'?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Without looking it up, my gut would say use "for" with nouns and "to" with verbs.

e.g. - 'he has a propensity for violence' but 'he has a propensity to act in a violent way'

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sounds about right, although one usually has a tendency towards violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yakuza wrote: »
    Without looking it up, my gut would say use "for" with nouns and "to" with verbs.

e.g. - 'he has a propensity for violence' but 'he has a propensity to act in a violent way'

You probably could use a verb with both, I'd imagine; but can only use "for" with nouns.

"propensity to do..."
    "propensity for doing..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Yakuza wrote: »

This is what I thought initially. I think I just ended up over-thinking it, which just makes it more confusing! I always get mixed up with little grammar things like this and then the more I try to think it out, the more confused I get!

Advertisement