Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Protection grid between driver and tools

Options
  • 15-01-2013 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

i am driving a jeep with tools in the back.

i am looking for a wire mesh-like grill, to put between me, and my tools, so that if i stop suddenly - to tools wont come flying up and hit me on the head.

where can i get these ?

JO
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

You mean a bulk head. They are in most vans normally streel I've seen a few made out of wood. I've never seen any made from mesh as mesh is bendable and a bulkhead needs a stable sturdy material.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don't kangoos etc have mesh?

Vanequip can do that. You may need something stronger, they can do that too

colm_mcm wrote: »

We had several kangoos and they all only had twin bars behind the drivers seat. We installed bulk heads in them 18 mm heavy duty ply of steel factory made one. I never seen one with mesh maybe its only the newer ones have mesh. We use to have loads of tools and steel ladders in the back so I don't think mesh would stop them flying at you. The steel bulkhead would be a better option op unless you only carry a few small tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

colm_mcm wrote: »

Colm - Vanequip went out of business a couple of years ago at this stage. I believe they are back running under a different guise that I can't remember though.

I've had bulkheads fabricated by Towing Equipment for Kuga Commercials in the past year. Give them a buzz on 01 456 6780.

Bulkhead is mesh, but not chicken wire mesh. Heavy duty steel type mesh.

They can be defiantly be got in solid steel too if the op requires depending on what they are carrying all are vans have them as steel mesh won't stop 12 foot heavy duty ladders and aluminium towers. Factory fitted bulkheads in bigger vans are generally a solid sheet of metal. But I'm sure the mesh is alot cheaper and will work if you are only caring small things and I suppose a kangoo won't be carrying anything to big. I'd take a picture of one of the bulkheads in our vans but I'm in college and not at home.

• Advertisement

Bpmull wrote: »
    They can be defiantly be got in solid steel too if the op requires depending on what they are carrying all are vans have them as steel mesh won't stop 12 foot heavy duty ladders and aluminium towers. Factory fitted bulkheads in bigger vans are generally a solid sheet of metal. But I'm sure the mesh is alot cheaper and will work if you are only caring small things and I suppose a kangoo won't be carrying anything to big. I'd take a picture of one of the bulkheads in our vans but I'm in college and not at home.

OP is driving a commercial jeep, so there would not be a factory bulkhead option. Only option there is a fabricated, after market option. It isn't going to come in solid steel either - would not be of any benefit over a solid steel bulkhead (worse as you wouldn't be able to see through solid steel) and it will stop 12 foot heavy duty ladders or anything else you want to throw at them - it's a seriously heavy duty peice of equipment.

R.O.R wrote: »
    OP is driving a commercial jeep, so there would not be a factory bulkhead option. Only option there is a fabricated, after market option. It isn't going to come in solid steel either - would not be of any benefit over a solid steel bulkhead (worse as you wouldn't be able to see through solid steel) and it will stop 12 foot heavy duty ladders or anything else you want to throw at them - it's a seriously heavy duty peice of equipment.

Sorry I understand now for some reason I thought the op had a van. The mesh would suit a jeep perfectly you won't buy any 12 foot ladders in the back of a jeep anyway. I realise you can't get a solid steel bulkhead for a jeep. Thanks for the correction sorry about all the confusion. My astra van has a piece of steel that comes up about a foot and half it was factory fitted and I find it good. But if you are fitting something probably best to stick with the mesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Plenty of Kangoo's Transit Connects came with factory wire mesh. The Connect had a version where you could open the passenger side of it. (hinged in the middle) so you could acess the back or let long items up into the passenger area if you had the seat folded forwards.

Where are you based Jo? Plenty of crowds around the country doing van / jeep / car fitouts. Had a few vans kitted out by a crowd in Abbeyleix, Co. Laois. There is/was another near Waterford. There's a few in Dublin etc...

Edit:
    Here's the crowd in Abbeyleix. http://www.vanfit.ie/contact_us.shtml

Vanequip went out of business a couple of years ago at this stage. I believe they are back running under a different guise that I can't remember though.

A quick google threw up the guys who used to be Vanequip, with pics of the type of bulkhead I'm talking about.

http://www.vanconversions.ie/bulkheads.html

Haven't used Van Conversions for anything yet, and don't really need to as Towing Equipment can handle all my requests, but worth pricing up from both if you are Dublin based OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

thanks everyone - thats great. i didnt even know they were called bulkheads!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

A quick google threw up the guys who used to be Vanequip, with pics of the type of bulkhead I'm talking about.

http://www.vanconversions.ie/bulkheads.html

Haven't used Van Conversions for anything yet, and don't really need to as Towing Equipment can handle all my requests, but worth pricing up from both if you are Dublin based OP.

They're not fantastic....

They're not fantastic....

Vanequip used to be very good. They never billed me for the 80 hazardous warning, metallic "stickers" we got off them - and they went out of business soon after.......

Advertisement