Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Recommendation

Options
  • 15-01-2013 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭

So it's birthday time coming up and I need to buy a watch for the gf. Looking for something that has a lap split function, over ten lap if possible and is waterproof. No need for GPS or heart rate just them two things. If it was a small size and nice girly colour that would be even better. Have looked at timex and casio but was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Got the gf a green garmin forerunner 10 for xmas and she loves it. Not sure what your budget is but something worth a think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

Cheers okane, hadn't thought about a forerunner, didn't think they were waterproof. Has your gf used hers in a swimming pool yet? Watch would be used more for recording lap times in pool, she already has an old Forerunner 220 for running so could be a bit of duplication with the watches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

joey100 wrote: »
    Cheers okane, hadn't thought about a forerunner, didn't think they were waterproof. Has your gf used hers in a swimming pool yet? Watch would be used more for recording lap times in pool, she already has an old Forerunner 220 for running so could be a bit of duplication with the watches.

Has to be the Garmin Swim? Enter the pool size, enter the pool, swim your laps, and it will have all the data waiting for you in Garmin Connect when you're home. Small enough to wear as a regular watch too. No GPS or HR, but also has a very basic stopwatch function for running.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

This watch is just brilliant for swimming as it has an interval counter. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timex-Ironman-Mens-Lap-Sleek/dp/B008AH5HE4

For example if i was doing 10x200 reps i'd set it to 3:40 swim it in 3:10 giving me 30 secs rest the alarm goes off and id go again. If i slow down the rest is shortened i have to work harder the next rep its like have a coach poolside pushing you on! It will tell you which rep you are on so no need to count the reps (or laps cos u can tell by the time e.g 2:30 means ive only one lap left)

Cant see the need to a lap counter when you have an interval counter myself pushing you to to a time goal

Its also a great watch for running etc as it has all the other functions you would need as well as being a slim light watch. The ladies version im sure is even smaller and lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

FR10 is not waterproof.

If you want a watch for swimming the Garmin Swim is hard to beat IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

Cheers amphkingwest, thought that about the forerunners alright. To be honest the garmin swim is probably a bit over kill for what she will use it for. Think the timex similar to what dx22 linked to is what I will go for. Going to try and keep it nice and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Cheers amphkingwest, thought that about the forerunners alright. To be honest the garmin swim is probably a bit over kill for what she will use it for. Think the timex similar to what dx22 linked to is what I will go for. Going to try and keep it nice and simple.

If u are going for a timex make sure it can count intervals, many of the models can do repeating intervals but only some of them count them, which is a great feature, and avoid the tap screen ones the impact of the water on each stroke keeps start/stopping the watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Ya the FR10 is not waterproof.
    Another swimming watch is the PoolMate

http://www.swimovate.com/poolmate/

Advertisement