Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing Material For Tattoo

Options
  • 15-01-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hey,

So when going into a Tattoo studio is it best to always bring printed samples of the images/tattoos you're looking to get?

I ask because I dont currently have access to a colour printer and all the images are in full colour. I have them all on a USB key, would this do?

Also the tattoo would be to alter an existing half sleeve of polynesian and continue it into a full sleeve containing possibly a koi fish and some other images.

Does anyone have any recommendations of artists in Dublin? One of my mates swears by Dublin ink. New to Dublin so not sure!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭piercingdanny

Call into Colourworks in Temple Bar. Darren and Rob are two great tattooists. I would print them as it's so much easier to work with. There's plenty of internet cafe's around. The tattooist will appreciate the effort more !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Can always email them the images before you go in. But yeah printing would be a good idea if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Best idea? Print them off the size that you want them! Saves the tattoo artist a pain in the face from trying to scale what you want down.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Best idea? Print them off the size that you want them! Saves the tattoo artist a pain in the face from trying to scale what you want down.

Yea not a bad idea, though i'm not actually looking to get an exact replica of someone elses tattoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If you can't print off what you want then you will need to give the artist the reference / sample stuff, and then either give them time to do up a design for you, or trust them to freehand it onto you. (assuming they are willing to do so.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭murfinho

If you can't print off what you want then you will need to give the artist the reference / sample stuff, and then either give them time to do up a design for you, or trust them to freehand it onto you. (assuming they are willing to do so.)

Like the idea of printing it to the size of the tattoo, makes a big difference for yourself too, as well as the artist..

Slight tangent: Would many artists do free-hand? I only have xp of a transfer from a hand-drawn design

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

Get your images printed, make the effort. There's loads of places in Dublin that'll print your stuff from USB cheaply. Your artist will have to draw it up since you're not going for an exact copy, they'll need reference material and having it on paper means they can draw on/around the original if necessary.

I wouldn't touch Dublin Ink based on the experience of my friends who've got work there, three of which have covered up what Dublin Ink did. Spilled Ink, Classic Ink and Colourworks seem to be putting out the best stuff in Dublin at the minute. A lot of places I'd previously have recommended have gone very downhill, who I wont shame here as I'd like to think that'll change soon. Have a look at the various Facebook pages of these places and you'll see what they're doing and who's right for you.
    murfinho wrote: »
    Like the idea of printing it to the size of the tattoo, makes a big difference for yourself too, as well as the artist..

Slight tangent: Would many artists do free-hand? I only have xp of a transfer from a hand-drawn design

A lot will do it where possible or if they think it'll work better. I have three roses and a set of wings on my arm that were freehanded around a bigger piece which was transferred and they look superb. It was easier to freehand them rather than using stencils as they fit much better with what I already had tattooed. Some things wont work freehand, a lot of pieces need to be stencilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Aslso check out Wildcat and Skin City two of the best studios in Dublin imo, dont go near Dublin Ink.

Advertisement