Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought Upgrade License for Windows 8 - Installation deadline?

Options
  • 15-01-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I have bought the upgrade license,

Can I still use windows 7 for a year, and then use the license to install Windows 8?

As an aside, I managed to buy the license for €15 by mistakenly saying that I bought the laptop last August. I actually bought it in December 2010 whoops.

So I have the product key now, I`m guessing I am safe and it will install?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thats unclear. If Microsoft chooses to do a license audit, it's easy for them to see that you would be attaching the upgrade license to a Windows 7 OEM license that was activated in 2010. They would be within every right under your licensing agreements to invalidate your Genuine status at any point in the future. At the end of the day, that entirely depends on Microsoft and it's a bit like enforcing jaywalking laws. Right now Microsoft seems to be of the mind that they will take whatever adoption of their platform that they can, but at any point in the future they can say OK it's time to shake the freeloaders off the tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In Overheal's scenario of course, MS can't detect the lie until you actually upgrade your existing Windows install to Windows 8. So on that front your Windows 8 licence won't be invalidated between now and then.

There should be no time limit on using the activation key since if at any stage you need to reinstall Windows, you will need to install your Win7 OS first before upgrading to Win8 again. So there should be no "use it or lose it" period for the activation key. There never has been in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

I Probably should have just paid the €30...would save the wondering for the sake of €15! I thought it would be a good idea to secure the license as no doubt the price will increase significantly in February.

Ill probably hold off on installing it for a month or two; im doing a CompTIA type module in college and it deals with windows 7 primarily so I might as well have the exact same interface for now.

Will test windows 8 in a virtual machine.

Advertisement