Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lance 2013

Options
  • 15-01-2013 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

After the unfortunate end to his 2012 season, I'm expecting the new Lance model 2.0 with added humility to announce his return to triathlon in the next few weeks.

We could use this thread for all Lance-related news!

First up- the confession! Streamed live at 2am on Friday morning on oprah.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

He doesn't deserve attention or discussion. This is an attempt to rewrite history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I will be impressed and change my view on Lance if he does not write a book or attempt to make more money from "coming clean",
    as lets face it he will make more from this than any clean cyclists could make in their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Confession is going to be another amazing work of fiction.

I'm hopipng its along the lines of him being a sleeper agent for WADA and UCI who was deep undercover to help unravel the mystery of doping in sport. All of the donations, bullying and general bollockology were a means of establishing and maintaining his cover.

I'm sure he's a nice guy under it all, just misunderstood :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

tunney wrote: »
    He doesn't deserve attention or discussion. This is an attempt to rewrite history.

Ah now that's a bit harsh! I'll hold my judgement until I hear the interview. I expect it's all being done for self-interest of course.

I think it does deserve attention at least. The whole 1991-2010 period in cycling was pretty bleak (unbelievable and boring), but the more we know about it the better. His confession might bring Pat McQuaid down too so might do some good.

At the very least it's great entertainment at a quiet time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I am surprised that allegedly most of the reason he is looking for a part confession is to compete in triathlons. I suppose Ironman Inc would love the publicity of having him compete again but there would be a lot of criticism surely over this.

I have to assume they will give him more than a 6 month ban no matter what happens as he was the acknowledged ringleader - he must have gone nuts with Tygarts refusal to look at less than 8 years - he might be a good age before he gets back though.

Did I hear it mentioned on the cycling forum that the interview is on Discovery - I don't see it on the guide yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

catweazle wrote: »
    I am surprised that allegedly most of the reason he is looking for a part confession is to compete in triathlons. I suppose Ironman Inc would love the publicity of having him compete again but there would be a lot of criticism surely over this.

Surely he'll end up in jail for fraud/perjury if we admits all? Unless I've missed something in the last 12 months, presumably the federal investigation against him will re-open, which will cost him much more than an 8year ban from sport.

I really can't see him putting himself in that position, so I wouldn't be pinning my hopes on any big revelations, or truth for that matter, coming from this interview. Don't be surprised if he claims he didn't know what he was taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Aparently the only time he ever went under oath was in the SCA deposition.

If he confesses to anything he will be jailed double quick time for perjury and stand to be countersued for all the SCA bonuses that were paid to him for the TdF 'wins'

He has sucessfuly painted inself into a corner and it's gotta be some story to get himself out of it. I can't see him getting out, and I can't see a deal being done either. I predict plenty of tears, and lots of 'but all the good stuff I did..'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

MrCreosote wrote: »
    After the unfortunate end to his 2012 season, I'm expecting the new Lance model 2.0 with added humility to announce his return to triathlon in the next few weeks.

We could use this thread for all Lance-related news!

First up- the confession! Streamed live at 2am on Friday morning on oprah.com

Or just sky + it on the Discovery channel:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

The best thing I resently heard was an organisation that works for fair salaries in third world countries , exploiting their interns .....
    I have little doubt he will top that nicely.

I think the word sc..bag would not misdescribe him. their is a big difference doping once and learning his lesson , and systematically cheating for10 years and using mafia methots during those 10 years. He should get no less than 8 years even if he totally comes clean.
    Otherwise why would you even have drug testing controls...it would be a farce.

At the same time I am sure their is a lot of people not sleeping well right now...

Now the last benefit of doubt (ie he was clean) is gone, despite the money he would bring into triathlon, I think it would not be good for the sport if he was racing tris again,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

He admitted to doping before his cancer. So he was always a cheat.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2013/01/14/oprah-winfrey-lance-armstrong-doping/1834487/

Ironman will be a joke if they let Lance in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    He admitted to doping before his cancer. So he was always a cheat.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2013/01/14/oprah-winfrey-lance-armstrong-doping/1834487/

Ironman will be a joke if they let Lance in.

Well, we knew that, but I'm really shocked that he admitted it.

We'll have to wait for the interview to hear the language used but that really surprises me.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Well, we knew that, but I'm really shocked that he admitted it.

We'll have to wait for the interview to hear the language used but that really surprises me.

"So in effect Lance, you may have given yourself cancer with the drugs and hormones you took?"

"So in effect Lance, you may have given yourself cancer with the drugs and hormones you took?"

It'll be interesting how that plays out and if it's something that is picked up on.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting how that plays out and if it's something that is picked up on.

I've read that she didn't ask that question

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If he succeeds in his mission to convince the public that he is a reformed character, whose only interest is to clean up cycling, it will be a more impressive miracle than Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead.

Well I watched it anyway.

Nothing new apart from the admission. More denials and evasions. I'm hoping for better in the second part.

I fully expect WTC to invite the new repentant Lance back to the fold in the next few weeks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Lance's fanboys just aint going to go away. On ST they are saying he is the scapegoat...the lynchpin...and that the problem is someone bigger than him..ffs

Well I watched it anyway.

Nothing new apart from the admission. More denials and evasions. I'm hoping for better in the second part.

I fully expect WTC to invite the new repentant Lance back to the fold in the next few weeks though.

Admission to 2005 doping, not 2008 as in USADA's reasoned response. Statute of limitations............

Yup, the denial of doping for comeback 2.0 was just sad. Nobody believes he was clean in 09. And refusing to answer about the hospital conversation- pathetic.

• Advertisement

Yup, the denial of doping for comeback 2.0 was just sad. Nobody believes he was clean in 09. And refusing to answer about the hospital conversation- pathetic.

Or 2012........

"I never called her fat." Lance on Betsy Andreau.

I though Oprah did reasonably well. I think if Lance was hoping for some sympathy, he badly misjudged it. He came across as insincere and a real asshole.

Lance's fanboys just aint going to go away. On ST they are saying he is the scapegoat...the lynchpin...and that the problem is someone bigger than him..ffs

but the thing is they are not really wrong, aside from his mafia methodes he did not' harm anybody' as Ulrich always said and it was the system... he was the most scrupelous but not more scrupelous than most world leading companies it is more that he copied the system of those.

He was not the first guy to take drugs and their is no way the teams/sponsors, who ultimately paid him did not know about it.

And smart as he is i am sure he gets really well paid for the interview .....

peter kern wrote: »
    but the thing is they are not really wrong, aside from his mafia methodes he did not' harm anybody' as Ulrich always said and it was the system... he was the most scrupelous but not more scrupelous than most world leading companies it more that he copied the system of those.

He was not the first guy to take drugs and their is no way the teams/sponsors, who ultimately paid him did not know about it.

And smart as he is i am sure he gets really well paid for the interview .....

Whistleblower damages €90 million
    SCA €15 million
    Sunday Times €1 million

and that's just the first three..............

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

He didn't harm anyone? Emma O'Reilly might argue with you on that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Statute of limitations............

Wouldn't apply to perjury so will be interesting to see what happens there. Conceivably he has already done an immunity deal.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

EC1000 wrote: »
    Wouldn't apply to perjury so will be interesting to see what happens there. Conceivably he has already done an immunity deal.....

From here http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/cycling-questions-oprah-asked-armstrong-094715664.html
    Is it because in one potential perjury case the statute of limitations has passed?

I'm no legal eagle but clearly there is a statute of limitations factor in one jurisdiction regarding his repeated prejury.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Oryx wrote: »

And David Walsh
    And Paul Kimmage
    And Cristophe Bassons...

Oryx wrote: »

thats what jan ulrich said NOT me .

But I am sure people not involved in sport and not interested in performace sports do care more what he did for cancer ( and i think one has to be fair he played a big role in that)
    But it goes back to what bryangiggsy.s post that he is only part of a problen, and the problem is much a bigger one ie the problem is that their is lances in every part of our socity and the real problem is that their is so many of those.

he might be the biggest mafia cyclist ever but in the big wide world i doubt he is even in the top 1000 or even 10000 bigget mafiosis.

• Advertisement

Part 2 wasn't great.

High point was reached in the first 5 minutes of part 1.

Advertisement