Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FCA Medals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Tekken wrote: »
    I was wondering are these medals allowed to be worn on uniforms or is that against the rules.
    If they are not proper issue and are not permitted to be worn on no 1 uniform then what is the point in having them.
    Iv never received a proper answer on the matter.

NOT allowed to be worn on uniform. They are unofficial medals and not on the list of authorised medals.
    The point of having them? Some people have a medal fetish and like to wear medals, even makey up ones. No rule saying you can't wear them on civvie cloths,
    Proper answer is in AI A9

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Tekken

Thanks very much for the reply Doctor14.

At long last i got a proper answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

What sort of a walt went and designed those? Jesus. Wear the medals your country bestows on you with pride. Don't run off to the local medal and trophy shop to design something you think you deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 martin60

As a retired soldier I never cease to be amazed at the amount of former soldiers who seem to have a fetish for wearing row upon row of medals on their 'veterans uniforms'. Of course one is perfectly entitled to wear medals that were issued officially and it is also true that some of these organisations do great charitable works.

However, a trawl through the internet will soon unearth such a multiplicity of ex-servicemens organisations that it becomes utterly confusing.The ONET, IUNVA, Irish Veterans, Lebanon Veterans etc...it seems that each month there is a new splinter-group established...each with a different uniform and most modelled on U.S veteran styles. Many of these organisations produce medals commemorating medals that have already been issued commemorating other medals and if you are a member of some of these organisations you will also get a medal for being a member..you get it.

All of the above explains why we very often see elderly men walking in a lop-sided fashion as a consequence of the strain of wearing such a hoard of metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

I can see your point Martin, and it's something I often wonder at too, but give the old soldiers a break, there's worse going on in the world.
    Personally, I'll never wear my medals in public again, and come to think of it, I don't even know where they are in the house, or even when I saw them last. They may even be lost.
    I don't know why some people are fascinated by medals, or why so many Irish begrudge and demean the wearer with stupid comments like..."what lucky bag did you get them in" or "does your Daddy know you have his medals?"

But...

If you want to see people wearing un-issued & un-earned Military Medals take a trip to Dublin Airport when our 'troops' are in the Departure lounge prior to leaving for Annual Military Pilgrimage to Lourdes.
    I witnessed this for myself not once, but twice, the last time about three years ago. Many youngsters (and a few oldies) in (FCA) uniform...oops... sorry...Reserves...(with their green berets well concealed) chests well festooned with UN medals , Para-Wings, Ireland patches on sleeves, etc, and none I spoke to had ever been in the Army, let alone served o/seas, and had no qualms about admitting it!
    Youngsters no more than eighteen years of age with Congo, Cyprus, and Lebanon medals , and and a couple with the official Para Cumann Milita wings on their chests!
    A few even sported the old Emergency Medal.
    You couldn't make it up! It was a sight to behold & funny if it wasn't so sad.
    I'd love to have heard the 'war' stories in the pubs of Lourdes, but I was on route elsewhere at the time.

• Advertisement

Thanks Hedgemeister. That was an interesting reply and, while I never witnessed what you described at Dublin Airport, I can imagine it: a psychologist would have a fascinating time unravelling the minds of (some of) those FCA/Reservists. Perhaps there is some, as yet, undiscovered medal/badge/sunglasses related fetish unique to these Irish Reservists. Oh well!

On a serious note, I did mention that many of the PDF ex-servicemen were involved in a lot of charitable work and the rest of what I said was 'tongue-in-cheek'. Its probable that a lot of these guys identified so much with being ' a soldier', that when they do eventually retire, the loss of that identity is so great that they need another outlet through which to express themselves. It sad but it does seem that they require some sort of recognition. Perhaps its a generational thing and also some of them are just lonely guys in need of something or someone. Thanks again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

martin60 wrote: »
    Thanks Hedgemeister. That was an interesting reply and, while I never witnessed what you described at Dublin Airport, I can imagine it: a psychologist would have a fascinating time unravelling the minds of (some of) those FCA/Reservists. Perhaps there is some, as yet, undiscovered medal/badge/sunglasses related fetish unique to these Irish Reservists. Oh well!

Given the context. The broader and better question might be if there is a predisposition to symbol related "fetishes" (your word) among the type of people who undertake religious pilgrimages to Lourdes, Knock, Fatima etc. (Delete as appropriate)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

martin60 wrote: »

Of course on the other hand, it might just be that a group of lads going on military pilgrimage together would bring military tokens of their Grandfathers, Dads and Uncles, Aunts etc.

Because one of the things they might be going on pilgrimage to do, would be to remember and respect the lives, and contributions made, by their Grandfathers, Dads and Uncles, Aunts etc.

But it would never do to ascribe any higher motives to a group of reservists would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

I witnessed this for myself not once, but twice, the last time about three years ago. Many youngsters (and a few oldies) in (FCA) uniform...oops... sorry...Reserves...(with their green berets well concealed) chests well festooned with UN medals , Para-Wings, Ireland patches on sleeves, etc, and none I spoke to had ever been in the Army, let alone served o/seas, and had no qualms about admitting it!

Amazing, Never seen it myself despite being in it for years. Never seen a Reservist wearing a medal they weren't entitled to. Then again, seen plenty of non RDF wearing makey up medals, badges they shouldn't be wearing etc.
    Then again, Hedgemeister, are you really that knowledgeable about what you are talking about given that the Ireland Patch has been worn by EVERYONE for at least 10 years and is required to be worn?
    Easy to throw insults around

If you read the comment again you will notice that there was no mention, negative or otherwise, of Knock, Lourdes..or wherever. Your mention of places of worship brings the discussion to a place that was never intended and there was no suggestion of linking 'fetish' to religious pilgrimage. However, I do understand that people will find offence or invent an offence if they choose to. The substantive, and lighthearted discussion was why people seem so attracted to wearing military regalia...whether they choose to go to Fatima, the Al Aqsa Mosque or Lisdooonvarna is irrelevant. You will also notice that previous comments were sensitive to those people who genuinely felt a need to belong to something: if some readers are ultra-sensitive..my apologies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

Doctor14 wrote: »
    Amazing, Never seen it myself despite being in it for years. Never seen a Reservist wearing a medal they weren't entitled to. Then again, seen plenty of non RDF wearing makey up medals, badges they shouldn't be wearing etc.

Was on an Easter Guard of Honour at the GPO, I think it was two years ago and this boyo rocked up to the dress rehearsal on the Saturday beforehand with a black and tan medal proudly pinned to his chest for all to see.

The worst are definitely the ex-services though.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1183359182613&set=gm.10150529932493047&type=1&theater

18 medals worn between the two of them and there are five "real" ones in there. That is not including the UNHQ (New York) ribbon with a numeral nine on it. As the wearer himself said he has done 11 "trips" to UNHQ Geneva for a wreath-laying ceremony so he has awarded himself the medal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Those original "private issue"medals are hilarious. Worthy of the "lucky bag" tag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

If you want to see people wearing un-issued & un-earned Military Medals take a trip to Dublin Airport when our 'troops' are in the Departure lounge prior to leaving for Annual Military Pilgrimage to Lourdes.
    Youngsters no more than eighteen years of age with Congo, Cyprus, and Lebanon medals , and and a couple with the official Para Cumann Milita wings on their chests!
    A few even sported the old Emergency Medal.
    You couldn't make it up! It was a sight to behold & funny if it wasn't so sad.
    I'd love to have heard the 'war' stories in the pubs of Lourdes, but I was on route elsewhere at the time.
    I've only been on one PMI, in 2008, but there was no nonsense as you describe on that trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

testicle wrote: »
    I've only been on one PMI, in 2008, but there was no nonsense as you describe on that trip.

+1 I've been on the PMI and have seen no-one where anything they weren't entitled to..Also anyone in the PMI in years either side of me has not seen it either.

I'm also pretty sure that any of the ranking officers or fellow member would smell a rat and give them a dressing down.

What there is however is a load of people hoarding militaria to trade. I came back with everything from a slovakian forage cap to American Para wings and I've no intent to wear either. Any RDF on the trip were doing exactly the same as PDF...albeit they had less to trade :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

To be honest, when it comes to the older lads, I cant hold it against them having their medals made up privately. They've probably been army most of their life, and unlike the UK there's no British Legion or veterans groups to hang out. I'm usually up for walt-witch hunts but they love the services and the time they spent there, so happy out.

Advertisement