Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish company running Paramedic course

Options
  • 15-01-2013 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

I hear a company in Ballymount are doing this course, starting this year. Anybody know what the price is and if there will be jobs when completed. Is it recognised in Ireland by Phecc,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EMTFlynn

Unless it was with the NAS i myself wouldn't bother :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

kilograms wrote: »
    I hear a company in Ballymount are doing this course, starting this year. Anybody know what the price is and if there will be jobs when completed. Is it recognised in Ireland by Phecc,

Price in the ballpark of about 17000 not including expenses, will require you to work in the US for a year and is not guaranteed to be recognized by PHECC.

As stated...if you wanna be a paramedic either wait for NAS or DFB to recruit or perhaps consider the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

its a lot of money for no guarantee of a job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

thats ridiculous, and if truth be told the dfb etc is a big click

thats ridiculous, and if truth be told the dfb etc is a big click

DFB etc??? what do you mean by etc? the National Ambulance Service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BoonDoc

antichrist wrote: »
    Price in the ballpark of about 17000 not including expenses, will require you to work in the US for a year and is not guaranteed to be recognized by PHECC.

There are other options here in Ireland that are far less expensive. The US Paramedic is currently being offered by a Wexford based company with students already in the programme.

There is also rumours about the US paramedic is being offered by a Galway company.

Look around and don't settle for paying a tremendous amount of money for something that can be found with a more reasonable price tag.

BoonDoc wrote: »

Look around and don't settle for paying a tremendous amount of money for something that can be found with a more reasonable price tag.

Its ok......I'm not looking anywhere. ....in the job here already

kilograms wrote: »
    its a lot of money for no guarantee of a job

There are plenty of jobs out there for US trained paramedics. The starting wage is £250-350 per day with a lot of the jobs tax free.

Feel free to wait around for a decade to get hired on here in ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

There are plenty of jobs out there for US trained paramedics. The starting wage is £250-350 per day with a lot of the jobs tax free.

links???????

miju wrote: »
    links???????

here and here

These are jobs for ALS level paramedics. PHECC Paramedics are not ALS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Yep there even seems to be a fair bit of work available all over the US in general for EMT's and paramedics. Hell even in the UK there is. This country is horrible when it comes to gettting jobs in anything.

Yep there even seems to be a fair bit of work available all over the US in general for EMT's and paramedics. Hell even in the UK there is. This country is horrible when it comes to gettting jobs in anything.

The nice thing about the offshore paramedic work is that you are on the oil rig for 3 weeks then back here in Ireland for 3 weeks. Some of the jobs are starting at £300 per day.

It quickly offsets the cost for the International Paramedic course.

The Wexford guys are charging €8500 for their US Paramedic course. I don't know what the Galway guys will be charging. At the moment the Dublin crowd are taking names and the Wexford crowd already have students on the course.

I think that it is great to have options to earn your US Paramedic with training here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

So €17300 or €16800 for past students are the fee's for the dublin based course. I wish the guys and anyone who does it all the best but l think I would prefare the uk paramedic science degree route, whilst neither guarantee phecc reciprocity there's just alot less hoops to jump through from my reading in the Uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

From what I have heard about the private EMT courses, I think I would avoid the private paramedic for a while until I hear something positive about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

Serious cost...who the hell has 17,000 for a course. You could do a few years of medicine for that!

Feel free to wait around for a decade to get hired on here in ireland.

Wait a decade? Really.....what do you base this on? You do sound a little bitter in this post

Just an aside, but if you read the NAS education and competency strategic plan for 2012-2014 it does say there is a need to recruit 96 student paramedics in the next 2 years

Advertisement