Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone call about something wrong with my pc

Options
  • 15-01-2013 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I've just been landed a laptop from a friend of my parents. She got a call from someone (who also happened to call my mom and another friends of her this morning :rolleyes: ) about her laptop and I don't know what else was said or done. Anyone know what I'm likely looking at when I start this thing up tomorrow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Is this a phone call asking you about trouble your having and virus on you computer if so this is a scam.

Just keep them on the phone for as long as you can for the laugh it's great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I guess so? Only mams friend didn't know so and I'm guessing she did what ever she was told and now there's something wrong with the laptop I get the pleasure of fixing it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

If it happens again, do what was suggested somewhere else on this site. Put the phone in the fridge and see if they are still there a few hours later. Otherwise scream extremely abusive nonsense down the phone at them :D

In other words - it is a complete scam.

So there's probably nothing wrong with the laptop?

---edit---

Just to add, I can't wait to get one of these calls, just to take the mickey out of them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

jozi wrote: »
    So there's probably nothing wrong with the laptop?

---edit---

Just to add, I can't wait to get one of these calls, just to take the mickey out of them!

If she didn't do anything on the laptop they said then no.

If she followed the instructions they gave her on the phone then yes.

• Advertisement

Offcourse she followed instructions, thats why I'm getting the laptop to look at :(

What am I likely to find? Mam mentioned something about a credit card also? Which was blocked, lucky for her I think?!

Personally, I feel that if they were given access to the machine then you should just wipe and reinstall. The reason being, they could have put anything on there or changed settings to make it easier to get back in again. I just couldn't trust using a machine again after someone had gotten into it.

That was my first thought as well. Just lately I've been getting a bit fed up fixing pc's, I'm sure you know the feeling. So really, they could have done anything.

Windows 8 doesn't make it easy to get to the likes of control panel!

This laptop is only a few weeks old, doesn't look like they installed anything on it, there might be some pics. Only software I see that stood out was something called "showmypc.com" which may have come pre-installed with windows?

Am I safe enough going into recovery mode or what ever it's called and going back to factory install?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

From personal experience and from toying with these guys regularly they try and get you to install some sort of software that gives them access to the computer. It's usually along the lines of LogMeIn. Maybe they're using different things these days.

If all the instructions were followed on the phone i'd do as someone else said and just clean install it.

Edit - Explain to them not to answer or listen to any calls on the phone about their computer / pc / laptop.

Is it enough to "refresh" windows?
    What About Your Software?

The standard Refresh process will not restore the software you have installed. It will restore Metro apps, but not traditional Win32 software. Microsoft claims this is another function of troubleshooting. It wants to avoid simply re-installing whatever software it is that might be causing your problem.

There's no installer under add/remove programs for that "showmypc" program, just a folder and shortcut.

I had a look at running processes but I'm not 100% sure what should be there since it's win8, it looks normal enough though if I'm being honest.

My folks know rightly how to deal with these guys, I always hoped they would have called when mam's pc was still running ubuntu :p

---edit---

Last run command was to http://wintroubleshoot.com/ this a legit site, I suspect not?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

jozi wrote: »
    My folks know rightly how to deal with these guys, I always hoped they would have called when mam's pc was still running ubuntu :p

They always rang me when I had a Mac.

"Please press the Start button at the bottom left of your screen sir..."

"But I can only seen a smiley face down there....:pac:"

It was pretty much constant for several weeks at one stage. I used to put them "on hold" by putting the phone in front of a speaker.

It got to the stage where they threatened my mother and sister and that they'd get them in their sleep :rolleyes:

Eventually, I ordered a curry and they stopped ringing.

Apparently they rang here this morning as well.

Just spoke to the lady who fell for it. He got her to open the run command and go here;

msinfo32
    eventvvwr - to scare here with warnings that were logged
    www.wintroubleshoot.com
    www.support.me - she was given a code to login on this site (which doesnt work for me)

Is there a recovery mode of some sort on toshiba laptops that I can use or how does it work on a laptop that doesn't have a installation discs?

---edit---

There's no image to recover this laptop from. I can do system restore or refresh?

Advertisement