Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 - 25 Railcard queries

Options
  • 14-01-2013 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys,

I was wondering do any of you have any idea how long it takes to get the 16-25 Railcard, once you have applied?

I applied for the Railcard around 3 weeks ago. I have heard nothing since. I know I emailed the correct place with my application. I know the €10 fee hasn't been taken off of me yet. I know everything was filled out correctly and sent in weeks ago.

Recently I called Iarnród Éireann to find out about this issue. They said an outside company deals with this. After 7 minutes on the phone, the woman I was speaking to gave me a number for who to call, but didn't know the name of the company who owned the number she gave me. I called the number, and apparently they do Student Travelcards but not the 16-25 Railcards. They gave me Iarnród Éireann's number to call again. I rang Iarnród Éireann again, and explained the situation to the person who answered. They claimed I must have been given the wrong number last time. Again they didn't know the name of the company I was about to call, and again I was given the number of the Student Travelcard place.

I am now at a loss about who to contact and how to proceed. I am paying an awful amount on rail journeys at the moment and badly need this card. My local station was no help. Iarnroid Eireann themselves were no help.

Advice and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

16-25 product was withdrawn quietly in the last few weeks, existing cards valid till expiry, no new cards issued

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

According to the Irish Rail Website:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=142
    16-25 Railcard
    •Adults aged 16 to 25 years

Holders of the 16-25 Railcard are entitled to substantial discounts off the regular Adult fare on presentation of their valid Railcard ID Card at time of purchasing their rail ticket.

Applications for this card are no longer available

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The Underpants Gnome

16-25 product was withdrawn quietly in the last few weeks, existing cards valid till expiry, no new cards issued

Is this for definite? If you don't mind me asking, how do you know?

lxflyer wrote: »
    According to the Irish Rail Website:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=142

That's extremely irritating. The application form was still there as of 2 days ago. Expensive fares from now on I guess. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

That's extremely irritating. The application form was still there as of 2 days ago. Expensive fares from now on I guess. :(
    Get the Bus it's a lot cheaper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

These days there is less need for it given the wide availability of low priced advance booking fares. Yes, it's nice to have a discount card but a little bit of forward planning should open you up to better savings as a whole :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I had one of these a few years ago. They were never widely publicised and not many people had them

I think I might have to bus it from now on, even though that makes everything incredibly inconvenient for me.

Booking online in advance does save some money, but not as much as the railcard would have. My journey booked online several days in advance saves me €2.22. Hardly even worth the effort. If I had the railcard, I'd be saving an extra €10.98 on top of that.

Advertisement