Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexican Spanish

Options
  • 14-01-2013 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey, Im looking for a good spanish course (one in the evenings in Dublin). My girlfriend lives in Mexico and i need to learn the language! It's so limiting only having English over there. I don't know where would be the best place to go. Preferably looking for a Mexican Spanish course, but im a complete beginner so just need to get started! If anyone has any suggestions that'd be great! Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

just download michel thomas and learning spanish like crazy online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Hey. This place in Dublin seems to be focused more on Latin American Spanish. I've heard good things about it. Buena Suerte!

http://www.lasc.ie/node/786/ (Latin American Solidarity Centre)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Any other suggestions? The LASC lessons are on Monday which doesn't suit me.

My bf is from Mexico and will probably be going over there later this year. His folks have no English, so I need to try and learn some Spanish over the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

There's a group that organizes English-Spanish language exchange meet ups every week or so from facebook. PM me if you'd like the link to their page.

I used to live with Mexican people and I don't think that there's much difference between the Spanish of Spain and that of Mexico/Latin America. The differences that do exist between the dialects are basically like those between English from this side of the atlantic and that from the US. The differences are in the overall minor but exist in several areas of their grammar but mostly in nouns and some verbs. The dialects are not so drastically different that if you were to learn European Spanish, the Mexicans or whoever wouldn't be able to understand you.

My advice would be to learn the language and take note of the differences because there exists the potential to make a fool out of yourself from not knowing them ie. I was once talking to these Mexicans and used the verb coger (to get/ catch) in the context of fishing and I was wondering why they had stared laughing at me. It turned out that only the Spanish use this verb like this while the Mexicans use it to mean becoming close with someone or something in bed:o:eek: Who'd have thought that language could be so confusing?

What I would say to those people here that want to learn the Spanish language is to pick up a book on grammar and verbs as well as getting some audio like mise me fein3 has said but put the emphasis on listening and speaking (You'll be thankful when you're having conversations with the locals about the football or whatever else :cool:). There is also an abundance of material on the internet and Youtube to do with showing the differences between the dialects. The books on Spanish are plentiful in the many bookshops of Dublin and in other towns and cities so a good one shouldn't be too hard to pick up. In all it should take a minimum of six months of hard work to establish a conversational ability if you're learning it.

I will tell you all this if you're learning the language. Please don't be discouraged from learning it if you're not successful right away. As I said, you need to stick at it for at least six months, try do it with friend if you can. Spanish is an extraordinarily easy language to learn and once you have it you will not regret having learnt it.

Hope this has been a help to you:)

Hasta luego

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

There are differences between Latin and Spanish from Spain. The main one being the way you say the plural form of “you”

We don’t have it in English though some Irish people use ye and yous……Anyway in Latin they use Ustedes only while in Spain Ustedes is very formal for them and they only use it with old people.

They use Vosotros normally….Vosotros is tricky as it’s not easy to find places to learn it like Audio tapes as they normally cater for the large % of Spanish that doesn’t use it.

Also the sound of ce, ci and z is a lisp sound in Spain but just like an s in Latin Spanish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

From experience I would say start learning Spanish, you will be understood just fine in Lat Am. If you can get to a good level then worry about tweaking it to the local dialect.

I started out this way about a year ago, am now living in Arg with my wife and her family. Main difference is the use of vos instead of tu, no vosotros and differences with the accent.

You'll be grand.

Advertisement