Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education Allowance.

Options
  • 14-01-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi,

Im currently looking at going back to College next september to do a level 8, I am currently on Job seekers allowance and will qualify (Unless I find a job) for the Back to Education allowance seeing I will be on the payment for nine months. When I say I qualify, I hope I would but I previously did a number of level 8s and had to drop out due to a number of issues ( I changed from one course and then had to drop out of the other), Will I still qualify for the payment??. Any information would be appreciated because I am Weighing up my options at present and need to know soon will it be possible. Also I have Paid all my fees in full and received a grant for the first course. Returning to the previous courses are not an option as I did not like where I was, And it led to a few problems. The back to education allowance seems like the only option that would be available if it was available to me to return to college.

R_V_P 24.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RalphOC12

hi rvp. I am in a similiar situation, having been registered in a level 8 course, but not finishing due to having a greater interest in another course mid-way through. The whole BTEA progression concept I cannot find an answer to with regards to moving from level 8 to level 8 but NOT holding a degree. Hopefully someone out there on boards has some information :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭R_V_P 24

Hi Ralph,

I have been looking through the legislation with regards to our situation and it does say that we would NOT be entitled to the BTEA due to us not finishing the course.

1.14.8 Drop out of course

A BTEA participant who fails to complete, or drops out of a course will not be permitted on to the scheme to pursue a different course unless the Department is satisfied that certain circumstances pertain. The condition may be waived where there are mitigating circumstances, for which evidence must be provided, that would make it unreasonable to expect a person to have continued the course. Recovery of amounts paid may be considered.

It does say however that we may be able to receive the Payment under certain circumstances. Im still struggling to see what "Recovery of amounts paid may be considered" means??...any ideas.

I suppose the best thing we can do is fill out the form and explain our situation as best we can and hope that it meets the requirements for payment. otherwise ill have to hold off going back to college for another few years possible 2015. Let me know how you get on with your application anyways as we might be able to help each other out. :)

R_V_P 24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

my take on that is if you were already on BTEA, and dropped out, you wouldnt be able to apply for it again, and they may come after you for money you received the first time round

yes 'im invisible', I think that is correct. So i'm hoping to be eligible for the BTEA, having dropped out of a different course but not being on BTEA previously. Were you on the BTEA at any stage in the past RVP?

No I wasn't but I did get a grant previously, I dont know what the story is there?....I suppose we would be on the same boat if this was the case and things are starting to brighten up. (Was confused and thought that this applied to new applicants rather than those who have been on BTEA and failed the course). The participant obviously is a person receiving and who has failed. What do you think our chances are ralph?. should really get in contact with the SW office and find out for sure. R_V_P

• Advertisement

yes it would be a good idea, I was planning on going to my SW office later this week and asking. Getting a grant in the past shouldn't affect the application for BTEA at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I had to leave college last year. I was receiving BTEA. When I left I informed the SW, they told me that I had to pay back the 300 cost of education allowance.
    I am currently getting a fiver a week deducted from my OPFP to pay back the money.

Let me know how you get on with the SW office Ralph, I was planning to do it in the near future but not this week, When does the application have to be in? I think they cut the 300 euro book allowance in the budget but im not sure, I think I read about it online somewhere, What was your experience on the BTEA PlainP? Was it difficult to get the payment?. How much do you receive when you are on it?.

Thanks, R_V_P 24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

R_V_P 24 wrote: »
    Let me know how you get on with the SW office Ralph, I was planning to do it in the near future but not this week, When does the application have to be in? I think they cut the 300 euro book allowance in the budget but im not sure, I think I read about it online somewhere, What was your experience on the BTEA PlainP? Was it difficult to get the payment?. How much do you receive when you are on it?.

Thanks, R_V_P 24

Well I was already receiving my one parent family payment so for me to go on the BTEA was really easy as I all had to do was just switch payments. I was getting the max amount but this amount would differ from any payment that you would be receiving as it was tied to my OPFP.
    I don't know how much you would be getting, I'd assume its the same amount as your dole payment but I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

I did a level 7 course in 2007/08 and dropped out after finishing 1st year, I got the BTEA for that. I am now in 2nd year of a level 8 course in a different college and have been getting it for both years. So it is possible, I did however have problems getting the grant but that is all sorted out too :D

• Advertisement

I didnt know that you could get the grant as well as the BTEA?....How much does the BTEA pay now after the recent budget cuts annex if I may ask?...thanks for your help...R_V_P 24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

R_V_P 24 wrote: »
    I didnt know that you could get the grant as well as the BTEA?....How much does the BTEA pay now after the recent budget cuts annex if I may ask?...thanks for your help...R_V_P 24
    I meant the grant as in my fee's paid, because I got it in 07/08 the VEC weren't going to pay them but I appealed to the Dept of Education and won.
    Because I am over 24/25 (I can't remember which age is the cut off point) I get €188 per week, the lower rate is €160.

Advertisement