Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historical Adverts.

Options
  • 14-01-2013 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Where does one go to find the historical adverts is their a place for it online or does one have to scrawl through microfilm newspapers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Thomas_I

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭goose1

That is very true when looking generally, if you need enough to, say, offer differentiation between them then probably more sources are required but definitely reading every available article on the subject! x

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

I have even been looking through newspaper archive adverts and could not find what I am looking for kind of wondering would some business in rural towns in the 1890's be poor enough that they could not afford a newspaper advert.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I assume you've looked in local papers from the area you're researching? Have you looked at papers that would perhaps have been in circulation for only a short time? Or perhaps in other types of press, such as magazines, or even Thom's Directory? As with today's businesses, not all businesses choose to advertise in the press.

I used the Irish News Archive http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/ but Thom's Directory seems like and idea didn't know they did add's when I was using Thom's before I was only using it for the research on Galway Jail staff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I've no doubt that theses have been written on this topic.

Early (19th century) advertising tended to be more of an 'announcement' and more 'solicitous' than 'hard sell'. There also was a high number of personal adverts - usually mixed in with the 'panel' adverts we see today. Some of these are very odd- one of my favorites, at a time when half the country is starving is taken from the Kerry Examiner, 12 January 1847 CAUTION I hereby Caution the Public against giving my Wife, BRIDGET M'QUINN, any credit, as she has left my House without cause, and I am ready to receive her back. I will not be accountable for any Debt she may contract. WILLIAM M'QUINN

Ads also tended to be on the front page of newspapers and interspersed with reportage. Then as now advertising was expensive - it was largely confined to the bigger merchants and concentrated in higher areas of population. Not much point in a counrty hardware store placing a big advert for nails when the local customer base knew where to get them, had no alternative and could neither read nor afford a paper.

Town directories and Chamber of Commerce publications always have pages of adverts - not just Thoms - here is one from the early 1900's http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/history/corkitstradecommerce/corkfuture/pages_203_224.pdf The first and last few pages of that extract give typical examples of what prevailed at that time.

Nineteenth century Australian newspapers are available free online at their Trove website http://trove.nla.gov.au/ and have some great adverts dating back to the early 1800s.

Basically I am looking for a pub in Galway that was established in the year 1897 as a suprise for some (Not going to name it for private reasons) but in th e 1890's would some publicans be poor-ish to even pay for advertising?

Thank you by above by the way.

FORGOT HOW good Trove was for newspapers - Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

A few times I've googled "digital library" or "digital archive" and found resources online, typically in North America that has scans of Irish periodicals. The Lepracaun periodical with contemporary adverts is available at the Villanova Digital Library. For example: https://library.villanova.edu/Find/Record/1b64fa4c-98ef-4b5c-8a45-12176ad4eddd

Advertisement