Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything but accountancy...

Options
  • 14-01-2013 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭

I just closed a thread where someone wanted to know what % of salaries people saved.

It definitely wasn't a topic suitable to the accounting forum as it stood, however, it got me thinking. Is there a need for a thread where accountants and accounting students can shoot the breeze or tap into the accounting zeitgeist?

It's an experiment - let's see how it goes.

Normal rules Boards.ie apply - no NSFW pictures or defamatory comments. Keep all such posts on this thread...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Good idea a random waffle type thread for accountants and students?

So What is a Debit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

I studied accountancy for 2 years with the full intention of becoming an accountant when I started. To this day I am a qualified accounting technician who still cannot fathom double entry and I never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I studied accountancy for 2 years with the full intention of becoming an accountant when I started. To this day I am a qualified accounting technician who still cannot fathom double entry and I never will.

Guys, that's what SAGE, Oracle etc are for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I work in Treasury so it can be quite interesting when i mix my debits and credits up !

God bless SAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Is the Accounting Technician course a waste of money?

• Advertisement

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Is the Accounting Technician course a waste of money?

No, absolutely not. I found it quite difficulty to be honest. Year 1, I passed 3 out of the 4 exams in May but had to repeat Tax in August.
    Year 2, I passed 3 out of 4 again, repeating Tax again.

I studied it by myself at home, no tutor as I was working and didn't have a car. Self discipline was extremely difficult and it was when I lost it somewhere along the way I found it very difficult to catch up but I got there in the end. Covers everything, Law & Ethics, Tax 1 & 2, Financial Accounting 1 & 2, Business management, IAS (computeriesed accounting systems) and management accounting (only in year 2). It's very varied and comprehensive but what I found difficult was changing headspace from one subject to another as they are all so different and like with anything you try and study yourself you tend to spend more time on the subjects/areas that you understand instead of working on those you don't.

If you need any more info about the course let me know. I finished it about 2 years ago.

Also, it's the reason I was offered three separate office positions since I completed the course, anything accountancy based is a major bonus in for employers particularly in an office/stock based environment in addition to the usual typing, filing, organising skills etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

No, absolutely not. I found it quite difficulty to be honest. Year 1, I passed 3 out of the 4 exams in May but had to repeat Tax in August.
    Year 2, I passed 3 out of 4 again, repeating Tax again.

I studied it by myself at home, no tutor as I was working and didn't have a car. Self discipline was extremely difficult and it was when I lost it somewhere along the way I found it very difficult to catch up but I got there in the end. Covers everything, Law & Ethics, Tax 1 & 2, Financial Accounting 1 & 2, Business management, IAS (computeriesed accounting systems) and management accounting (only in year 2). It's very varied and comprehensive but what I found difficult was changing headspace from one subject to another as they are all so different and like with anything you try and study yourself you tend to spend more time on the subjects/areas that you understand instead of working on those you don't.

If you need any more info about the course let me know. I finished it about 2 years ago.

Also, it's the reason I was offered three separate office positions since I completed the course, anything accountancy based is a major bonus in for employers particularly in an office/stock based environment in addition to the usual typing, filing, organising skills etc.

Thanks for that. I'm actually doing Year 1 at the moment as a night course and was feeling a little disallusioned. Fair played to you doing it as a home study course.

Taxation I'm ok with from previous work. Financial Accounting needs a lot of study time. Business Management is very boring and trying to remember all the Theories is hard so far. Law I like, but again not sure if I can remember all the case law references. Still early days, hopefully it will fall into place by May.

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'm actually doing Year 1 at the moment as a night course and was feeling a little disallusioned. Fair played to you doing it as a home study course.

Taxation I'm ok with from previous work. Financial Accounting needs a lot of study time. Business Management is very boring and trying to remember all the Theories is hard so far. Law I like, but again not sure if I can remember all the case law references. Still early days, hopefully it will fall into place by May.

BM was by far the most boring thing I have ever had to study in my life. FA I just made my way through by skipping the chapters and doing the exam questions and when I found something I didn't understand I went back then and read up on it but it's the subject that needs the most work. I'd easily say I did the most work (that actually went in), in the 3-4 weeks before the May exams. Best of luck to you.

Advertisement