Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uneven heat in fan oven - thermo or fan motor

Options
  • 14-01-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi I've a Zanussi fan oven with a problem - the main oven heats unevenly. The top is hot, the middle not so much, and the bottom even less.I've replaced the element, but no change. The fan is spinning, but it seems quieter than before. Is it possible that it's spinning slower for some reason, and therefore not distributing the heat as it should? In which case I'll replace the motor. Or could the thermostat be acting up? The knob still "clicks" when I switch it on (I read somewhere that if the click stops, then the thermostat is gone), and the indicator light still goes off after it's been on a while, so I guess it's reaching the set temp... Any way I can test it with a multimeter?Thanks for help!Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭galway1973

Hi I've a Zanussi fan oven with a problem - the main oven heats unevenly. The top is hot, the middle not so much, and the bottom even less.I've replaced the element, but no change. The fan is spinning, but it seems quieter than before. Is it possible that it's spinning slower for some reason, and therefore not distributing the heat as it should? In which case I'll replace the motor. Or could the thermostat be acting up? The knob still "clicks" when I switch it on (I read somewhere that if the click stops, then the thermostat is gone), and the indicator light still goes off after it's been on a while, so I guess it's reaching the set temp... Any way I can test it with a multimeter?Thanks for help!Mick
    If you have a multimeter with a temp selection on it you can check if the termostat is cutting in and out to maintain a set temp.or you could buy an oven termometer to check the same. Another option would be to replace termostat but it is probably expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 armadillo1916

Thanks for the reply. I stared at the fan last night, and it seems to be turning with a little wobble - although it might've done that since new...
    However, if I put my hand a centimetre from the fan while it's full on, I can't feel any air movement at all. Also, it definitely seems to be too quiet! So I'm thinking it's just not going fast enough.
    I've gone ahead and ordered a new fan motor based on these observations, so fingers crossed that'll do it.
    If not, then I guess that only leaves the thermostat!
    Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 armadillo1916

FYI in case anyone is looking at this in future - I replaced the fan, and the problem is fixed. Everything is cooking faster now, so the fan may have been under-performing for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Would deffo go with motor, for anyone reading this re oven temps you can do a very accurate test of your oven without a thermometer, set your oven for 150c and if it is accurate the temp light should go out in 11 minutes so for handy figures we will say 10 minutes, so essentially it is rising in temp by 15degrees per minute, if it heats for 13 mins it is approx 30deg overheat or likewise cuts out at 8 minutes it is approx 30d under, a 10 degree error does not make any real difference, have always checked ovens with a watch as well as thermometer when servicing

Advertisement