Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EDT Lessons for test.

• 14-01-2013 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

This might sound like a stupid question, but is the EDT (Essential Driver Training) really compulsory in order to pass the driving test.

I've been with one driving instructor for a few months, but he's given no specific indication as to when I should take the test. I'm beginning to suspect that he's just trying to keep me on for endless ongoing lessons.

I've seen other groups which advertise doing the EDT for 12 one hour lessons. If I went with them, should I be able to take the test after the twelve weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

How many EDT lessons have you got done? At the end of the lesson is the instructor saying, "When do you want to book back in." or "I'm booking you in for..."? Do you have the chance to practice in another car? Have you asked the instructor about sitting the test?
    Sorry for asking so many questions, but it will make for a better answer.
    The basic idea of EDT is to teach you to drive. It is not designed to be pre-test-lessons. You will not be offered a test date until you have completed the EDT and they have been uploaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭FeckArseInc

Yeah basically the instructor is saying "when do you want to book in again?", then I have a weekly session with him.

This has been going on for several months. Each time I'm going on the road and driving to different locations. It seems to be really more on going and not following a set structure.

I was thinking of trying another instructor who specifically does the EDT lessons for twelve weeks or so and see if there's any real progress afterwards.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Do you have an EDT booklet? Has your instructor stamped and signed anything? Is he an ADI?

I'd switch right this moment if you haven't had even one official EDT lesson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭DaveyDriving

May seem a silly Question but do you actually need to do the EDT? Was your first LP issued after 4.04.11 ? If not then you will not have to follow the EDT program. Was this not established by the instructor at the start? Have you seen his ADI badge? If you have his name you can check if he is approved by going on the RSA website and looking through the instructors for your area. If he hasn't done any of these I would get rid ASAP. Let us know what happens.

Advertisement