Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Pro 3.0Ghz Quad won't start.

Options
  • 14-01-2013 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

My Mac Po shut down without warning. When I try to restart it powers up for a moment then shuts off. No chime just a brief whirring of the graphics card fan and the red lights on the memory card board flash for a second. Any ideas???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Any other symptoms before this happened...??? Also did you install anything new in the machine before it happened.?

I would go ahead and try resetting the SMU to see if that helps...!

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Let me know how ye get on.

Rats

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Exact same thing has been happening on mine.. Tried everything then brought to typetec. Initially no fault found but then started doing dame again. Turns out it needed new psu. And according to typetec tech guy he has seen hundreds with same prob. €170 plus €50 labour. Prob Could have DIY a lot cheaper but they did a seriously quick turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Update: I took the side cover off the machine and gave it a good going over with the hoover - nothing doing
    I then took the machine out from under the desk and laid it on it's side. I removed the front fan assembly and the CPU cover. There was a whole lot of fluff and dust on the vanes of the CPU heatsinks. Gave it a good hoover, put it all back together and it started and has run for three days with no issues.
    Incidentally I have now done the same with my other Mac Pro which had been running fine except that the fans were running high a lot. Much more fluff in the heatsinks on this machine, cleaned it out and it's is running silently now.

Advertisement