Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircraft Mechanic Apprenticeship

Options
  • 14-01-2013 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hey guys , I was wondering does anyone know what its like to be an aircraft mechanic? I was considering taking the apprenticeship when im finished school ..
    with the pay its around 40K a year for a qualified one .. Thats pretty good if im correct? I wanted to know when you finish the apprenticeship do you get a job with the airline? I know some airlines do keep on apprentices .. All in all my question is What is it like to be an aircraft Mechanic ? Is it a worthy career choice? Is there jobs out there? Do they get payed well? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

It's a great job,be warned though its extremely tough to get though.I applied for a few apprenticeships in the aircraft sector last year.

One i went to i reckon they tested 700+ lads for 3 jobs.Just a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

Hmm Yeah I know a fella pretty well and he got an apprenticeship with Air Atlanta and I think there was 3 jobs going .. That said can you really say its a great job if you havnt been in it yet? From what I heard from the friend is interesting .. and he is enjoying it but im looking into the future .. Will I be wondering around giving my CV to all the airlines 100 times and no job? That said there are millions of airlines over the world so could always move countries

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

Discounted flights and the ability(once your qualified) to work pretty much anywhere in the world.Beats most trades

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Timooo_23

I'm almost finished the apprenticeship myself. There's good and bad parts to everything but overall it's worth going for, the average wage after tax once qualified is in and around 500 a week, depending on level of qualification and where you're working. The qualification is recognised all over Europe, Asia and Africa. There are some fairly study intensive parts when you're off the job, but nothing overly stressing once you keep on top of it. The hours can be bad, depending on where you're working, shift can take it out of you. If you have a decent head on your shoulders, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Seanie175

Im also wanting to get an apprenticeship , where in yer opinion is the best place to look for these apprenticeships and when , there not really saying much about 2013 yet..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Timooo_23

Apply to all the ones going, law of averages will work in your favour then.
    Seanie175 wrote: »
    Im also wanting to get an apprenticeship , where in yer opinion is the best place to look for these apprenticeships and when , there not really saying much about 2013 yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

A couple of points. 40K a year is pretty average - comfortable for a single lad but you won't raise a family and keep the missus in the kitchen for it. (Not that I'm suggesting you should)

It is notoriously hard to get into as some have said. Having an engineering degree won't hurt, will give you the college experience and put you at an advantage - what's more being Irish you are blessed that it's currently free to do. Not taking the opportunity may be something you regret.

Although your sight will be less of an issue in the civilian sphere if you've perfect colour vision all branches of the UK armed forces recruit aircraft engineers. RAF would be the recommended one, best treatment. I've no idea if it's still an issue but aircrew was always a job they couldn't get people for. I was on a KC1 Tristar with a guy in his late fifties being taken out of a retirement because they couldn't get people - that was 15 years ago mind. Same Tristar a group of engineers flown to RAF Akrotiri and back to Brize in case anything happened - again whether these cushy numbers are still done who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

is it best just to look on the individual airline websites for notification of upcoming apprenticeships ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Seanie175

CommanderC wrote: »
    is it best just to look on the individual airline websites for notification of upcoming apprenticeships ?

Is higher level maths a must for getting any of these apprenticeships ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Lads there is a few people over in this forum working on the line they should be able to let you know all about the job and salary etc.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=905

• Advertisement
Advertisement