Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still get those cringy flashbacks?

Options
  • 13-01-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I shamed myself into stopping drinking. If shame was the only contributing factor that gave me the motivation to stop drinking, then there has been multiple times in the last 15 years that I could have stopped due to the outrageous and shocking things that had me pulling the covers over my head in the morning. Thing is, I am still having those awful flashbacks 13 months later... Does anyone else still suffer from these crippling flashbacks??? Its like now that I don't drink, my behaviour when I was drinking affects me so much more. Anyone else feel this way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

I shamed myself into stopping drinking. If shame was the only contributing factor that gave me the motivation to stop drinking, then there has been multiple times in the last 15 years that I could have stopped due to the outrageous and shocking things that had me pulling the covers over my head in the morning. Thing is, I am still having those awful flashbacks 13 months later... Does anyone else still suffer from these crippling flashbacks??? Its like now that I don't drink, my behaviour when I was drinking affects me so much more. Anyone else feel this way?

Yeah bigtime, sometimes I get a memory of cringeful things I said/did, and my immediate and uncontrollable reaction to these horrific memories is to scream curses in disgust. Its actually quite embarrassing, must appear to others like I have tourrettes.

Im 10 months off the drink and still get at least one of these, stop-me-in-my-tracks curse-loudly memories, per day.

Though its a lot better than it was when i was still drinking. Monday mornings would have me cursing loudly every 5 minutes at my pc. I would try to feign computer problems in these instances. Can only imagine how messed up i must have appeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 buzzz88

I get these too - especially when I see certain people who I know I've made an idiot of myself in front of!

I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but sometimes when I wake up after having strange dreams that i can't fully remember, I'll immediately think I'm after being out drinking again, and those dreams are just the fractured memories from the night before! Sounds crazy when I type it out... But it does happen me quite a lot!

Advertisement