Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Classes - Goethe Insitut or Sandford Language Institute?

Options
  • 13-01-2013 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I am on A2 level German, had been learning in Berlin but would like to keep it up in Dublin.

Does anyone have any experience of the Goethe Institut in comparison to the Sandford Language Institute? Goethe is coming in at double the price (it does have more tuition time), but is it worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think goethe is brilliant and I found per tuition hour it was cheapest which is why I went there. I can't compare it to the sandford place but I can very much recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The goethe exams are recognised anywhere I think. The basic certificate of attendance we do get but since I don't use it for anything I am not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 6 stanley1981

@Bluewolf, thanks for the recommendation. I think I will go with the Goethe. Did you go there for long and at what level?

@Phoenix The Goethe Institut uses standardised levels which are used across Germany (Sandford levels are vaguer). My understanding of certification is when you reach B1 or maybe B2, then the exam process starts. Particularly relevant if you are applying for university etc where you need to have a certain level or at least that was the way it worked in Germany. But I have read on the Goethe that exams are at an additional cost.

Yeah I've been going since I was a total beginner on a1, and now I'm starting b2 in a couple weeks. It's been maybe 2 - 2.5 years.
    The exams are at a1, a2, etc. They do cost extra.

• Advertisement
Advertisement