Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an engagement ring checked and valued

Options
  • 13-01-2013 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am going to go to Dubai to get engaged and to buy my ring there. I am a bit worried about the diamond so want to know if there's anywhere that I can have it really checked out and valued when I get back to Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 leap

We got my engagement ring abroad and I got it valued for insurance purposes at esl jewellers. They were in the powers court centre but I just quickly googled them and I think they have moved to Chatham St.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭abbeyrock

guy on baggot street, dupoy or dupey. ring any of the jewellers and they will advise who does it, we got my gf ring valued for free through that guy because he does a deal with the jewelers we bought it from, but i would imagine they would charge as they have to give you certs for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Just make sure you do some research on places to buy in Dubai before you go, and that the jeweller will give you a certificate from a recognised diamond body like IGI. I got my ring there a good few years ago, we did a bit of research before we went and looked at a few rings here too so we'd have a vague idea of how much different things would be here so we at least had an idea of whether we were getting good value.
    You'll probably have to have it valued when you come home for your insurance and I think that's easier if you have a cert as the jeweller can check if the stone matches the cert you were given, rather than having to examine and classify the diamond from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Joey2

We just got back from Dubai, got a lovely ring with a cert from one of the shops in the main shopping area of Dubai. But we were still worried about it as I heard some scary stories about Dubai. But it seemed to be cheap for what it was. After checking out a few valuers, we decided to bring it to Carol Clarke jewellers in the Hibernian Way. She's a qualified diamond grader and she checked everything with liquids and machines. We were delighted to find out that everything was kosher. Cost a hundred euro but really worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Joey2 wrote: »
    I am going to go to Dubai to get engaged and to buy my ring there. I am a bit worried about the diamond so want to know if there's anywhere that I can have it really checked out and valued when I get back to Dublin.

Has the horse already bolted at that point though :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Applebys do it on the spot I think. While your there in dubai if you like the ring go back to your hotel and google the place and check its legit. Then purchase it the next day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

hfallada wrote: »
    . While your there in dubai if you like the ring go back to your hotel and google the place and check its legit. Then purchase it the next day.

Good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Joey2

Thanks very much for the advice!

Advertisement