Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I smoke food with turf?

Options
  • 13-01-2013 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am looking to start cold smoking food in my back garden with my home made smoker. I am not sure on what wood I can use to smoke foods. I know that it is usually hard woods but not always and that using pine is poisonous.

Mainly though i need to know if can i use turf or peat to smoke foods? I want a traditional cottage fire fragrance and flavor to it. Can anyone help?

Thankyou

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

you can use turf for smoking but you want to be careful it doesn't overpower the meat or fish ... if your using wood cherry or apple wood gives a great background flavour ... ash or maple or very commonly used especially if its bacon or ham your smoking

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If it is turf flavours you are after..http://cuisinetechnology.com/the-smoking-gun.php

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Scotch Whisky, particularly Islay ones are often made with grain smoked with peat.

I love it, but it's definitely an acquired taste. Quite iodiney and chemical. Nothing like wood smoke. Can't imagine peat smoked meat would be very nice, but I'd say give it a go and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

Lamb takes turf smoke well..go very easy on it as it overpowers the meat..a few sliters is all you need for a leg.

• Advertisement
Advertisement