Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car maintenance course in Dublin

Options
  • 13-01-2013 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hi Everybody,

I'm recommending a car maintenance course I did before Christmas in Ringsend College. It's starting again at the end of this month.

I looked for one a few years ago and couldn't find one. I came across this one by a leaflet through the door. It was once weekly for ten weeks and covered all the basics amateurs like myself would tackle with theory and a practical demonstration every night.

The instructor was excellent and very knowledgeable. I'm posting this because I did a quick search this morning and the information online isn't great.
    The instructor runs the same course in Cabinteely College as well for people further south.

I know some people will recommend a Haynes manual or Youtube but IMO you can't beat a class. You can ask questions and get impartial advice. It gave me the confidence tackle more on the car without fear of breaking it and removed some of the mystery around engines in general.

Links:
    Ringsend College
    Cabinteely
    Eveningclasses.ie

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

Never knew there were courses like this thanks for the post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

What exactly does he cover in this course ? Is it the likes of changing oil & filter & air filter etc or wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

id love to find courses about car diagnostics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

liam7831 wrote: »
    What exactly does he cover in this course ? Is it the likes of changing oil & filter & air filter etc or wha?

Oil change, the fuel system, ignition system, brakes, electrics, battery are what I remember off the top of my head.

You get to understand how it works and why it's important and how to maintain and fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    Oil change, the fuel system, ignition system, brakes, electrics, battery are what I remember off the top of my head.

You get to understand how it works and why it's important and how to maintain and fix it.

My father was getting his driver license in Soviet Union time, he had to know all above including engine and gearbox repair and maintenance procedures, to get " B " driver license.

Maybe it is worth implement such course in todays car license courses :pac:

• Advertisement

Bump. For anyone who missed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭kirving

Mar4ix wrote: »
    My father was getting his driver license in Soviet Union time, he had to know all above including engine and gearbox repair and maintenance procedures, to get " B " driver license.

Maybe it is worth implement such course in todays car license courses :pac:

Definately a good idea, to some extent. I think everyone should be able to change all bulbs on their car, tyres, filters, plugs and that kind of thing as part of the test. Sure, there will be times even a mechanic will be caught out, but general skills are great to have.

The problem nowadays is that something which was considered basic in the past, such as a dsistrbutor cap has become ridiculously complicated. Now you have a crankshaft position sensor, ECU, variable timing, etc, etc. to deal with. There's just no way you can expect most people to have a hope of understainding what's actually happenning.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

How long do these courses go on for

The one I did in Ringsend was one night a week for ten weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭eric90000

Hey, do you happen to know if this course is still going on? those links that you posted are now dead.

There is one in Cabinteely Community School by a guy called Henry Harris, €110 euro for 10 weeks, that the one you took?

Looks like the one in Ringsend already began on 27th Jan, thats a pity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement