Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Council registration while abroad

Options
  • 13-01-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

At the moment, I'm teaching in a private English medium primary school in Poland. I don't require Teaching Concil registration in this job as my qualifications are enough as far as the school is concerned.

I'm wondering, should I bother keeping up my registration when it expires in a few months' time? I think it's going down to €65 this year, but even though I'm on high wages for Poland, it's still a considerable amount for me to spend on something I cannot see the benefits of.

As well as that, I found out that I cannot get my probation done while I'm abroad because the Teaching Council say I need to follow local probationary requirements and the one stumbling block there is that I would need to teach in Polish on the day of the inspector's visit. If I cannot complete probation, I assume that I would be unable to register after three/five years anyway (or whatever length of time it is).

I don't see myself coming back for a long time (at least ten years), if ever. So, what would be your thoughts on maintaining registration while teaching abroad? I'm looking for the pros and cons really. Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Any ideas from anyone? I'm inclined to not re-register as I'm currently getting absolutely no benefits from them as it is. Any reason that I should stay registered??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

number10a wrote: »
    Any ideas from anyone? I'm inclined to not re-register as I'm currently getting absolutely no benefits from them as it is. Any reason that I should stay registered??

Because you'll have to start the whole registration process again if you do find employment. I havn't had much work but have kept my registration current just in case. Section 30 will soon be enacted so you can't get paid (even subbing) without being registered so if you got work you wouldn't get paid for a while because Garda vetting takes about 10 weeks. And you would have to send in your transcripts etc and get it signed by the principal you are working for. For the sake of €65 I would keep my registration current.

Just re-read your first post - if you're not intending coming back to Ireland for ten years then it may be a waste of money. But if you think your plans may change, I'd stay registered. I think you would have to get a extension to complete your probation but I don't know if that would extend to 10 years. Maybe give the TC a call regarding this.

Advertisement