Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out of college and repeating

Options
  • 12-01-2013 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey people, my friend is in his first year in level 6 course. He hates it. I don't understand why he picked it, anyways, he wants to drop out and repeat his leaving and do a level 8. What's the deal with the grants? Will he have to pay back the grant for the level 6? And will he have to pay for the level 8?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

He wont have to pay back the grant money he has received but he wont get a grant for the 1st year of the Level 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shauna30895

hillbloom wrote: »
    He wont have to pay back the grant money he has received but he wont get a grant for the 1st year of the Level 8.

Thanks

I've read on a lot of places that because he's moving up levels he will receive a grant. Anyone know if this is true? I've contacted a university about it anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭DonnaMarieAva

I did a level 6 of a 4 year course and I hated it too! So I dropped out just before xmas so as to keep half my grant for next year when I do a different course. That means SUSI will pay half my fees and half my grant. I cancelled my application after being paid three installments. I get three installments less next year. So there isn't much I have to pay. I was told, however, that if I could get a letter from the doctor saying that I dropped out because of health e.g. stress, SUSI may pay the full amount again on sympathy terms. (I think that's what it's called!) I was told that my the student support officer.

Has your friend received the grant yet? Were his fees paid at least? Because if he drops out before anything is paid, he will entitled to the rest next year if he chooses a different course. :)

His fees were paid and he's received 3 installments so far. I don't want him to drop out and repeat his leaving unless his fees are guaranteed to be covered :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 av8r10

stick it out!

Stick out a course he hates? I think not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 av8r10

whats the course?

Business in NCI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

for the sake of a few months ...continue this year and switch course at the end of the year .

• Advertisement

How can he switch? He wants to go from a level 6 to a level 8? Is that even possible? A level 8 in DCU I might add

His fees were paid and he's received 3 installments so far. I don't want him to drop out and repeat his leaving unless his fees are guaranteed to be covered :/

Tell him to talk to his student support officer. And call SUSI. His fees are guaranteed to be covered. He must however, cancel his grant first. ;)

Great help :) thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Tell him to talk to his student support officer. And call SUSI. His fees are guaranteed to be covered. He must however, cancel his grant first. ;)

sorry what?

How on earth do you know his fees are guaranteed to be covered?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

sorry what?

How on earth do you know his fees are guaranteed to be covered?

Like I said above, I was talking to my student support officer in college and she told me. I also called and emailed SUSI. They said the same thing. That's how know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Like I said above, I was talking to my student support officer in college and she told me. I also called and emailed SUSI. They said the same thing. That's how know what I'm talking about.

Ok but that persons circumstances might differ. I don't think personally it's a good idea to say to someone that something is definitely guaranteed when there might be some reason it's not.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ok but that persons circumstances might differ. I don't think personally it's a good idea to say to someone that something is definitely guaranteed when there might be some reason it's not.

yeah i get you. But, I don't see a reason as to why he wouldn't be entitled to half the grant like I am. It wouldn't make sense to me if he wasn't allowed cancel for next year. Especially after what I was told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

Hey, I'm currently in first year of college in UCC. I really don't like the course I'm doing, but thankfully lectures are over and it's study month now. However, I'm really afraid I might fail some of my end of year exams eg maths, physics, chemistry, I found them really difficult throughout the year and now I'm afraid I won't get into second year to do Zoology which is the only reason I did this course in the first place.
    I know if I were to repeat first year again I wouldn't get the grant, so that's out of the question. But could someone please tell me what the story would be if I were to switch course? Or do a PLC course instead? There is no way I could afford accommodation, college fees AND food etc. for a whole year, I'm hoping to get a job this summer in Cork but I haven't had a proper job in the last 2 years. I'm from Clare btw so no possibility of me living at home.
    Thanks for anyone who has any info for me! :D

Hi :) You start college in a level 6. So doing the equivalent of a Fetac course would also mean you would not be entitled to a grant as Fetac courses are only level 6 or less. As far as I know (and I know a lot because I've researched it!) you would not be entitled to a grant by switching courses unless you switched into a level seven, which I don't think is possible. Every course starts out at level 6. I do know though that if you give up college now, wait five academic years, you can go back and do your preferred course. Basically you would be applying as a mature student. Hoped this helped! :)
    Hey, I'm currently in first year of college in UCC. I really don't like the course I'm doing, but thankfully lectures are over and it's study month now. However, I'm really afraid I might fail some of my end of year exams eg maths, physics, chemistry, I found them really difficult throughout the year and now I'm afraid I won't get into second year to do Zoology which is the only reason I did this course in the first place.
    I know if I were to repeat first year again I wouldn't get the grant, so that's out of the question. But could someone please tell me what the story would be if I were to switch course? Or do a PLC course instead? There is no way I could afford accommodation, college fees AND food etc. for a whole year, I'm hoping to get a job this summer in Cork but I haven't had a proper job in the last 2 years. I'm from Clare btw so no possibility of me living at home.
    Thanks for anyone who has any info for me! :D

Hi, my course is actually a level 8! When filling out the CAO in 6th year, you fill out your level 8's first and then your level 6's/7's, which are IT's. The PLC course I have looked at to do this coming September is a level 5.

• Advertisement

Yes all college courses are level 8's. Most of themm 4 yr degrees and some 3yr degrees. The first year of your level 8 course is a level six. The next 1/2 years is a level 7 and the last year is a level 8. You, this year, would have completed a level 6. The level 5 you are looking into is a level lower. Therefore (as far as I know) you won't get a grant as you wouldn't be progressing. :)

Hi, my course is actually a level 8! When filling out the CAO in 6th year, you fill out your level 8's first and then your level 6's/7's, which are IT's. The PLC course I have looked at to do this coming September is a level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Yes all college courses are level 8's. Most of themm 4 yr degrees and some 3yr degrees. The first year of your level 8 course is a level six. The next 1/2 years is a level 7 and the last year is a level 8. You, this year, would have completed a level 6. The level 5 you are looking into is a level lower. Therefore (as far as I know) you won't get a grant as you wouldn't be progressing. :)

Only if its part of the add-on system. If the degree is ab initio then its a straightforward level 8, i.e you start at year one and you only receive a qualification on completion of the full three or four years. There is no automatic qualification awarded after 2/3 years study.
    The add-on system tends to be more widespread in the IOT's than the universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Conmar

When a student is looking to drop out of college, or change course, they need to be very careful in what information they seek as EVERYONE'S CIRCUMSTANCES ARE DIFFERENT. In CaoimheCweeva's case, she has attended year 1 of a level 8 course and is looking at changing to a Fetac level 5 course. The current grant scheme which applied to academic year 2012/2013 is available here (http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418623/Student_Grant_Scheme_2012.pdf). Under Article 15 (7) (c): if you have not completed more than 1st year of a level 8 course, you can apply for funding to attend a Fetac Level 5 (PLC) coure. If she were changing to a Level 6,7 or 8 course, she would have to complete first year at her own expense (no grant and she would be liable to fees i.e. student contribution fee and tuition fee for level 8 courses).
    Articles 15 to 18 (pages 13 to 20) give a good explanation as to what happens when you peviously attended a course or hold a qualification.

Would you still be allowed the grant if it was a Fetac level 6? That isn't being held in a college but a school instead? :)
    Conmar wrote: »
    When a student is looking to drop out of college, or change course, they need to be very careful in what information they seek as EVERYONE'S CIRCUMSTANCES ARE DIFFERENT. In CaoimheCweeva's case, she has attended year 1 of a level 8 course and is looking at changing to a Fetac level 5 course. The current grant scheme which applied to academic year 2012/2013 is available here (http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418623/Student_Grant_Scheme_2012.pdf). Under Article 15 (7) (c): if you have not completed more than 1st year of a level 8 course, you can apply for funding to attend a Fetac Level 5 (PLC) coure. If she were changing to a Level 6,7 or 8 course, she would have to complete first year at her own expense (no grant and she would be liable to fees i.e. student contribution fee and tuition fee for level 8 courses).
    Articles 15 to 18 (pages 13 to 20) give a good explanation as to what happens when you peviously attended a course or hold a qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Conmar

If the student has completed 1st year or less of a Level 6, 7 or 8 undergraduate course and they changed to a PLC course, then they can apply for funding. This is assuming that they have never attended a PLC course previously and don't hold a Fetac qualification. Again you can refer to page 15 of the Scheme and item (c).

If the student has completed more than 1st year of a level 6, 7 or 8 undergraduate course and they changed to a PLC course, they have to complete an equivalent period of study on the PLC course before being considered for funding.

There are no straight forward answers as there are variables to every scenario so that's why be careful where you can getting information from and that you have all your facts. Good luck

Conmar wrote: »

When I emailed SUSI about it, they said I wouldn't be eligible for a grant for a Level 8 course or lower because it wouldn't be seen as progression :(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Check that out a bit more. SUSI have given mis-information about some very basic stuff to me in the last week or so. As Conmar says they are bound by the info in the legislation. Maybe email them back with that section from the grant regulations and ask why it doesn't apply in your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Hi Guys,

The information both Conmar has stated and CaoimheCweeva has received is correct. You have to be progressing in education in order to receive a grant.

If you do drop out of an undergraduate course before completing year 1, then you can apply for a grant to attend a PLC college.

If you have completed the first year then you won’t be eligible to receive funding for any lower level. However if you do change to another course at level 8 then you will have to complete year 1 without funding. You will be eligible to receive the grant then again in year 2.

If any of you would like me to look into your individual cases, can you mail me the following details?

W reference number:
    D.O.B:
    Address:
    Mother's Maiden Name:

I hope this information helps.
    Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSI HelpDesk.

SuSi: Reps wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

The information both Conmar has stated and CaoimheCweeva has received is correct. You have to be progressing in education in order to receive a grant.

If you do drop out of an undergraduate course before completing year 1, then you can apply for a grant to attend a PLC college.

If you have completed the first year then you won’t be eligible to receive funding for any lower level. However if you do change to another course at level 8 then you will have to complete year 1 without funding. You will be eligible to receive the grant then again in year 2.

If any of you would like me to look into your individual cases, can you mail me the following details?

W reference number:
    D.O.B:
    Address:
    Mother's Maiden Name:

I hope this information helps.
    Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSI HelpDesk.

Conmar quoted that if you have not completed MORE than first year, then you are eligible for the grant. Because I'm only in first year and won't be continuing on to second year, doesn't that make me eligible?

• Advertisement
Advertisement