Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyspraxia help

Options
  • 12-01-2013 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi,

My 17 year old brother who is doing his leaving cert this year has just been diagnosed with Dyspraxia. He did get assessed in primary school, but the diagnosis said he had Mild General Learning Disability.

He has been given a notebook in order to help with his exams, however I don't believe this to be of much assistance to him. In fact I believe it is having a negative affect as his typing is extremely slow. The necessity to adapt to this using the notebook is really causing him a lot of stress.

We feel that if he had been properly diagnosed initially we could of done what ever necessary to assist him. However we are now extremely concerned as we are unsure if the advice we are receiving is beneficial.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hi dchris,

Who have you talked to about this at the school, exactly? I'm just wondering if the doctor who diagnosed him with dyspraxia was the one who recommended the notebook or whether it was some agreement with the school.

Either way, I don't think that it would be too unreasonable for your parents to arrange a meeting with the school in order to see what can be done that's best for your brother.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭scheister

hi Op

I used a laptop for my leaving as a result of Dyspraxia for which i was diagnosed in 5th class and got typing lessons to help me. But im not sure would typing lesson be much help to your brother this close to the LC. Its been a month since the last post just wondering if your parents meet with the school in the meantime. I would think a scribe might be a better choice for your bother if the typing is slowing him down

Advertisement