Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distro - Linux Hybryde Fusion Beta

Options
  • 12-01-2013 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

This newish distro has now jumped to no.2 on my usage list. No.1 remains Sabayon due to it's rolling release.

Linux Fusion Beta version is available to download and test. This is a revamp of thir first release. Apart from the default desktop, there are 9 others which can be booted into without logging out..including very polished versions of Enlightenment and KDE , also, Unity, Gnome 3 , LXDE, XFCE. Openbox. FVWM.

Streams remain active when switching between desktop Environments. Sometimes (at present) firefox closes, sometimes not (it is still Beta version.). I used the previous version for my Enlightenment needs but I am finding myself staying on the default desktop more regularly with their revamped default desktop

They base this release (or at least the test version) on Ubuntu 12.04 for the LTS support.

The link below is to a pic of the default screen. I cant insert it for some reason. The desktop environment list is not permanently visible, nor is the (easily configurable) left bar. I include them for illustrative purposes only.
    ku9l
    http://www.screencloud.net/v/ku9l

e6z7

Link to website: http://www.hybryde.org/site/index.php#myModal

Comments

Very interesting, Thanks OP, another OS to check out, it will be about my 6th or 7th in the last couple of days, with Fedora out.

I do agree with you with Sabayon, I'm typing this on it, and it is by far the most impressive Distro to date, it with KDE is only Beautiful, it is also my number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

So is it essentially ubuntu 12.04 with a window/fs manager switching capability? Is it not quite a 'bulky' OS then? The gnome and kde packages with all their own dependencies are pretty massive, . It does look good though, I can see it attracting a bit of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Setun wrote: »
    So is it essentially ubuntu 12.04 with a window/fs manager switching capability? Is it not quite a 'bulky' OS then? The gnome and kde packages with all their own dependencies are pretty massive, . It does look good though, I can see it attracting a bit of curiosity.

I tried it briefly the other day and did not like it at all .... horses for courses I guess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭human 19

Setun wrote: »

That about sums it up, Still comes in at only 9 gigs on the HDD. In the past whenever I tried for example to load KDE into a gnome distro, for example, it always caused conflicts which borked the distro. Dont knw if that has improved since.
    I tried it briefly the other day and did not like it at all .... horses for courses I guess ;)

Fair enough. I love their enlightenment DE

Advertisement