Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historical Debate: Bringing things of the past in to Public Domain?

Options
  • 12-01-2013 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Should names be brought into public domain if an event happened over 80-100 years ago. For e.g. I was told Maamtrassna Murders & The Mystery was controversial when it first came out in the 80's. There are some people in 21st century who 'dare not speak the name of the Irish Civil War'. I remember learning in college about Coolacrease and Killings in Cork during and post-Irish War of Independence.

Even today some would argue to keep things light while other's would push boundaries whether locally or academically. What's you opinion on controversial past being brougth into public domain for the 21st century?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Should names be brought into public domain if an event happened over 80-100 years ago. For e.g. I was told Maamtrassna Murders & The Mystery was controversial when it first came out in the 80's. There are some people in 21st century who 'dare not speak the name of the Irish Civil War'. I remember learning in college about Coolacrease and Killings in Cork during and post-Irish War of Independence.

Even today some would argue to keep things light while other's would push boundaries whether locally or academically. What's you opinion on controversial past being brougth into public domain for the 21st century?
    Sometimes these things become easier to discuss when the immediate generation are gone. Discussion of the famine is a good example of this. The immediate period after it was one of dread and even shame up to the 100 year centenary which saw publications and the current situation where much literature has been published in recent years. With regard to individuals being named I'm not sure why they would need to be if they were not commonly known.

Advertisement