Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to extend Wifi

Options
  • 12-01-2013 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi, just a quick question. I'm want to extend the Wifi at home and just looking for a bit of advice on making this possible. The position where I want to create an access point doesn't have a phone line or ethernet port.

Is it possible to create a wireless access point using power over line adapters? Or would my best bet be by running an ethernet cable in the attic? Bearing in mind this would require chasing of walls.

All suggestions welcome, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A cable will always be the best option. It may be easier to run your cable outside, bore out at skirting level, clip it under the plinth and then cable tie it up the downpipe to the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Isn't there a thing called a Wi-Fi Extender? That you plug in and it picks up your Wi-Fi and sends out the signal again???

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Isn't there a thing called a Wi-Fi Extender? That you plug in and it picks up your Wi-Fi and sends out the signal again???

WiFi extenders are terrible, they are laggy and just sitting there it halves the throughput of your wireless network. You are always better off feeding a second access point by another method that isn't wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Any cheaper ones that work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Cookmeister

Ok so after doing a bit more research today I think I'll buy a 20m roll of Ethernet cat5 cable and run it through the attic to the access point. So if anyone knows of any good (not too expensive) AP's feel free to shout them out here!

Also my ISP is eircom and the modem they provided is a 802.11g. If I bought a 802.11n modem, it would still work with eircom ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Wotty

Ethernet over power line is noisy and pollutes the rf spectrum making it noisy for other users.

The devices should be banned.

Wireless wifi can be extended by using external ariels and this can save a lot of hassle running wires all over the place. Although sometimes there is no choice other than to use wires :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Ok so after doing a bit more research today I think I'll buy a 20m roll of Ethernet cat5 cable and run it through the attic to the access point. So if anyone knows of any good (not too expensive) AP's feel free to shout them out here!

Also my ISP is eircom and the modem they provided is a 802.11g. If I bought a 802.11n modem, it would still work with eircom ya?
    it will.
    have a look here for a few examples if your budget can stretch buy cisco.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Remember to get the full benefits of the n standard all the wireless cards on the network will also have to be n.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭jesse pinkman

Our house is fairly old with wide stone walls, I have a Trendnet wireless router that is hardwired to both the main work computer & the Xbox which is located in the part of the house where there's currently no WiFi signal available, I'd like to rectify this so the kids can have WiFi for their tablets there. So my question is, can I add another wireless router to the end of the cable where the Xbox is located, then simply plug the Xbox back in to any new router?

Confused yet? . . I bleedin am.

Also if it is possible, what type of router would be compatible with this Trendnet one I have?

• Advertisement

You need an access point, set it to the same SSID (name) and encryption (security type and password) as the existing wireless but on a channel well away from the other router and your devices should roam from one to the other

Thanks PogMoThoin, I was hoping it was simply a case of buying something & pluging it in, sounds a little technical for me, I'd need to get someone who knows what their at . . I think.

Well, as it turns out, I went to the computer clinic & they sold me one of these for €59 quid, just plugged it in & it worked straight away.

image_109.jpg

Well, as it turns out, I went to the computer clinic & they sold me one of these for €59 quid, just plugged it in & it worked straight away.

That's a router. You do not want another router (double nat) as it may create issues for stuff that needs to open ports, Skype, online gaming etc. If you're just browsing you will probably be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Wotty

Did you try plugging an ariel into the xbox. That way the signal may be increased enough to overcome the thick walls you have described.

I don't know if this will work, but I do know that if you have a high gain ariel it may amplify the signal enough for things to work.

Its working grand now thanks Wotty, didn't know there where ariels for X Box's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I'm going to jump in here, as I've a similar problem. I want to extend my WiFi to the back of the house, I've my main Vodafone router at the phone point at front of house. I don't want to run any cables as it really isn't possible without them being visable. I've an old lynsys w54 router which works fine and if I use a cable it repeats my WiFi grand. But want to position it in the kitchen, but instead of supplying it with an ethernet feed, I've an old WiFi bridge from a device I used with it(receives WiFi and outputs it to an ethernet cable) what would be the disadvantages with plugging this into my lynksys router to repeat my WiFi. As far as i know it works.

Advertisement