Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to create a website for first time - help.

Options
  • 11-01-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up a website - I have registered a domain and procured hosting. I'm using NVU for webpage editing. I published to the FTP. It is showing up on the server folder but I can't view anything except for the domain name on the website.

What am I doing wrong? I'm really new to all this so appreciate any help.

Thanks - J x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iFergal

Are you sure you uploaded it in the public_html folder in the FTP? And that your main page was named index.html/php or default.html/php?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Are your domain and hosting seperate? If so, have you made the DNS changes to point your domain to the server the website is on?

Your hosting provider should be able to tell you what IP address to point your A record to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

If you think you have uploaded your website to the right folder using ftp, check to see if there is another index file in the folder. Say for example your main page is index.html, if there is an index.php or index.asp it might be opened instead by default. Usually there would be a holding page put in by the hosting provider.

Advertisement