Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postive pregnancy test - confused and anxious

Options
  • 11-01-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Ok, this is going to be long but bear with me.

I'm 41 and have 3 children already all of which were conceived through fertility treatment as I have PCOS. I have never used contraception in the last 10 years and never gotton pregnant naturally.

After Christmas I was feeling very bloated but put it down to over eating and drinking in the lead up to and during Christmas so when the New Year came I stopped drininking and cut down on my eating and waited anxiously for the figure on the scales and the bloatedness to come down but nothing so today 'for a laugh' I decided to buy a pregnancy test. Went to chemist and got a 'Clear Blue Digital ' test and did it when I got home and was shocked to read 'pregnant 3+ weeks' on it. Told my husband when he got home and the 2 of us were totally freaked out about it but were assuming that maybe my PCOS or the antibiotics I am on for a chest infection. I then decided to rush out to buy a different test to confirm our suspicions but after taking that it is also saying I am pregnant.

Now I am doubly freaked out. Whilst I see every baby as a true gift from God, I am really concerned about my age, the fact I have been drinking heavily in the last few months, am just finishing antibiotics and if I am pregnant I have no idea how far along I am as I rarely get periods due to my PCOS and let say I have a pretty healthy sex life.

Any advice welocme as I am truly feeling very anxious right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Invest €60 and go to a doctor.
    If you are in the VHI ring the nurseline - they are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Sarah3

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Invest €60 and go to a doctor.
    If you are in the VHI ring the nurseline - they are excellent

Unfortunately, my doctor will not be sitting now till Monday and I'm not in the VHI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Sarah3 wrote: »

Unfortunately, my doctor will not be sitting now till Monday and I'm not in the VHI.

Dont freak out about the drinking and anti biotics. We've all drank for the first few weeks with "surprise" babies. So don't worry about it at all. Hell the night I found we were pregnant there was a few glasses of wine had to try and dull the shockof it. As for antibiotics most of them are safeduring pregnancy. I've been on them repeatedly for the last few months and babs is grand. He.will be here in the next few weeks.
    Only thing I can suggest after that is for yourself and hubby to take the weekend to digest the news and make a docs app first thing Monday morning. And stay away from Google!!! We've all frightened the bejaysus out of ourselves by Googling when we really shouldn't. And most importantly of all congratulations. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Try and relax until Monday and then see will your doctor have an appointment free for you that day. Try not to worry, little babies are a lot stronger than we think.
    You could always book in for an early scan too to see about some dates although it might be a bit early.

Best of luck with it all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

What's the name of the antibiotics you are on?

• Advertisement

What's the name of the antibiotics you are on?
    I've been on ciprofliraixal (that's spelt phonetically lol I don't have them in front of me), augmentum, augmentum duo, zinnat (they are the latest ones) clonamox.

Thumby wrote: »
    I've been on ciprofliraixal (that's spelt phonetically lol I don't have them in front of me), augmentum, augmentum duo, zinnat (they are the latest ones) clonamox.

Ooops didn't check who posted asking what antibiotics. Thought it was the op asking me. Silly baby brain lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Congratulations :)

Hope it's what you want and that everything goes smoothly.

I know it's a big surprise for you but it was nice to read this thread!

Don't worry about it now, see your Dr. when you can and then try and enjoy the pregnancy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Augmentin and Clonamox are fine with pregnancy. Don't know about the other ones as never been on them but been on Augmentin and clonamox when preg and no probs

Augmentin and Clonamox are fine with pregnancy. Don't know about the other ones as never been on them but been on Augmentin and clonamox when preg and no probs

The others are grand too. It was the hospital docs that prescribed them for me due to repeated kidney infections. So if the op is taking any of them she should be grand. But her gp will know for certain.

• Advertisement

Thanks to all for the very supportive replies. I will post again in the next few days when I have some follow up news.

What I know for definite at this stage is that if I am pregnant, the baby will be very much loved.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Thanks to all for the very supportive replies. I will post again in the next few days when I have some follow up news.

What I know for definite at this stage is that if I am pregnant, the baby will be very much loved.

All the best.

Congrats Sarah! I would echo what previous posters have said re alcohol and early scans and just add my parents had a suprise pregnancy when my mum was 40. My sister is now a gorgeous heathy 17 yr old and runs rings around her siblings and of course her parents ;) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

My nana was 45 when she had my Aunt :) you can always ring your hospital Early Pregnancy unit and request a scan the 3 + on the clear blue puts you at 5 weeks and over. good luck and congrats :)

So, I spent the weekend geting used to the idea that a baby was on the way and myself and husband actually started to get very excited after getting over the initital shock and disbelief.

This morning I went to my GP. She did another test and confirmed I was definitely pregnant and she sent me to get a scan done. As I sat in the hospital waiting room waiting and waiting, I started to get really nervous that after the excitement it was going to turn out to be a false alarm or a molar pregnancy or something like that. The doctor came in, turned the screen away when she started to scan but then like music to my ears, while turning the screen back towards me, said "Well you're definetly pregnant and there's it's little heartbeat" and then after doing a few measurements she said "and I'd estimate you're about 8 weeks along". Of course I burst out crying and she taught being pregnant was bad for me but I just explained that knowing that I was 8 weeks along meant I knew I had been drinking alot over Christmas while in the early stages, She was very reassuring and told me many women drink in the early stages not realising they are pregnant and baby turns out perfectly fine. She said most of the major organ development is only starting now and thankfully I haven't touched anything since 1 Jan and the guilt will make sure I don't consume another drop for the rest of the pregnancy.
    I'm now anxiously awaiting until I get to the 12 week mark when I can relax a little and start to tell and shock my friends and children with the news and please God we will meet our new precious one sometime in August.

Thanks for all the messages of support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Congratulations on your pregnancy - that's wonderful news! Great that you got to see baby as well and all is well. Seriously, loads of women drink in the first few weeks without realising so don't feel guilty. Sure, some women don't know they're pregnant until they're about 5 months gone and carry on like normal!

Glad the doctor was good about it! Have you started taking folic acid? Might be worth taking for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Congrats :)
    Glad everything went well for you!

Glad the doctor was good about it! Have you started taking folic acid? Might be worth taking for a few weeks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, she told me to start taking it straightaway so picked up a pack of Pregnacare which has all ante-natal multivitamins and folic acid. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

So, I spent the weekend geting used to the idea that a baby was on the way and myself and husband actually started to get very excited after getting over the initital shock and disbelief.

This morning I went to my GP. She did another test and confirmed I was definitely pregnant and she sent me to get a scan done. As I sat in the hospital waiting room waiting and waiting, I started to get really nervous that after the excitement it was going to turn out to be a false alarm or a molar pregnancy or something like that. The doctor came in, turned the screen away when she started to scan but then like music to my ears, while turning the screen back towards me, said "Well you're definetly pregnant and there's it's little heartbeat" and then after doing a few measurements she said "and I'd estimate you're about 8 weeks along". Of course I burst out crying and she taught being pregnant was bad for me but I just explained that knowing that I was 8 weeks along meant I knew I had been drinking alot over Christmas while in the early stages, She was very reassuring and told me many women drink in the early stages not realising they are pregnant and baby turns out perfectly fine. She said most of the major organ development is only starting now and thankfully I haven't touched anything since 1 Jan and the guilt will make sure I don't consume another drop for the rest of the pregnancy.
    I'm now anxiously awaiting until I get to the 12 week mark when I can relax a little and start to tell and shock my friends and children with the news and please God we will meet our new precious one sometime in August.

Thanks for all the messages of support.

Huge congrats and happy and healthy nine months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Wow what a fantastic start to the new year! Huge congratulations! Hope you have a very healthy and happy pregnancy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

huge congrats -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Hi just dropping in now to say congrats and your story is an inspiration. Im 24 now and was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2005 as a teen. Im now 28 weeks pregnant and I had to take fertility drugs to conceive. I too never had regular periods until I reached 21-22 and then tried the treatment as before that they said it would never work. I'v been chatting a lot of women who have PCOS and studies are now showing that after 35 we become more fertile so instead of getting worse for us who have struggled it can get better if its what we want in life of course

I hope all the best for you and you should now relax and enjoy it
    Again congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Vivienne123

Congrats Sarah3! Am also 41 and pg (with my third child) and due in August, snap! :)

Advertisement